How to Reset Mac App Store Download of Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by santaliqueur, Oct 17, 2014.

1. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I'm attempting to download Yosemite from the Mac App Store. It's downloading, but when it gets to 870 MB, it pauses and drops back down to 860 MB and repeats indefinitely.

I've signed out and back into the store, I've closed the application, I've searched ~/Library/Application Support/AppStore for partial downloads to delete, and there's no partial download.

The data must be somewhere, though I can't find it, even with a smart folder. Where is it? How can I reset my download and try again? Thanks!

2. Tootall67 macrumors member

Tootall67

Applications folder?

3. santaliqueur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not there either.

4. jdblas69 macrumors regular

click on launchpad and it should show there. Hold down mouse button then click the X to delete and then go back into the App store and download again.

5. santaliqueur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Launchpad! You sir, are wonderful. That worked, and it's starting from zero now. Hopefully will work all the way now. Thank you!

----------

And it does the same thing. Reaches 870 MB, goes back down to 860 MB. Ugh.

6. santaliqueur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried creating another account on the iMac and downloading Yosemite there, same problem. WTF!

7. jdblas69 macrumors regular

I had a few hiccups last night where it would do the same thing get to a certain point and then drop back. I just gave up figuring the volume of people hitting the servers may be an issue. I downloaded it this morning without any issues. I did notice that it seemed to act up when I had my VPN on so I turned it off and all was good. Not sure if you are running a VPN or not.

How about a system reboot?

8. santaliqueur thread starter macrumors 6502a

No VPN. Will try my VPN just to eliminate a source of error.

Although, I should mention that I'm using my iPhone and/or iPad hotspot to connect. I have no "real" internet connection here, and that's how I get everything lately. Perhaps that's it?

9. jdblas69 macrumors regular

I am not 100% sure if this could be a problem using a hotspot connection but it could be a strong possibility that you are not getting a strong consistent connection thus causing some issues. This is fairly large file to download so I assume you are aware of the potential data amounts you would be using?

10. santaliqueur thread starter macrumors 6502a

I deleted the file and started completely over. It's a bit odd that the file would reach the same size on the second attempt, 870 MB and then go back down to 860 MB and then back up again. I ruled out connectivity because that's too much of a coincidence. Also, I've had nothing but solid connectivity here, as I have full strength LTE on my iPhone/iPad.

To "solve" the problem, I went to a friend's house and downloaded it there. Thanks anyway everyone! Hopefully it's a problem with Mavericks that I'm leaving behind.