How to reset the hard drive of an broken Macbook Air.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vincentv, Jan 20, 2017.

1. vincentv macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

How can I reset the hard drive of my macbook air ? My macbook is broken due to water damage and the cost of fixing it are more expensive then buying a new one. So I bought an new macbook air and I want to sell my old one. But i want to remove all the files from my hard drive, I looked it up on the internet but I can only find how to do it on an working macbook. Does anyone now how to dow it ?

Regards,
    Vincent

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

If its Thunderbolt port does't work for Target Disk Mode and you can't boot it off USB, you'll need to physically remove the drive.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

What @Mr_Brightside_@ said! It's also worth remembering that the drives in the MacBook Airs are proprietary, so you'll probably need to get an Apple PCI-e>USB converter, depending on what model you have. That is, if you're looking to actually wipe the drive and put it back in.

A better option would be to remove the drive and sell the MacBook Air as damaged/no SSD. Then wipe the SSD and sell that seperately. You'd get more for your money that way.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yeah those drives are worth a pretty penny. If you live in Toronto I'll remove and wipe it for no charge if I can keep it ;)

5. vincentv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the help! I found a buyer who can delete the drive for me so it is already fixed!

6. wolf1734 macrumors member

wolf1734

Bonjour

Je le boock air mac d'un ami au démarrage je la barre de chargement qui avance jusqu'à la moitié, puis les réparations dès le début, puis l'écriture de l'ordinateur "votre ordinateur est replay désactivé en 60 minutes" comment réinstaller un nouveau système d'exploitation sur elle. Merci beaucoup pour votre réponse.
    Cordialement

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

"votre ordinateur est replay désactivé en 60 minutes"

Is that exactly what it says?

8. wolf1734 macrumors member

wolf1734

--- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    Yes it's that wait 60 minutes