how to restore a TM backup made with 10.6.8 to a Mac running Lion? (FileVault, too)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Brutalbrutus, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Brutalbrutus macrumors newbie

Hello.

My old laptop running 10.6.8 ("Snow Leopard") was stolen a week ago Monday. I have an external hard drive full of Mac "Time Machine" backups (a whole backup, then a bunch of incremental ones, etc.) Because I used FileVault on my user (hereafter "User A"), whenever I made these Time Machine backups I logged into another administrative user account ("User B") for the purpose of backing up. That way I wasn't trying to back up an in-the-process-of-decrypting user from within that user.

So my laptop was stolen, and the new laptop is running 10.7.2 ("Lion"). I used Migration Assistant and got some applications back; no User A data came back (not surprising; it was encrypted, after all.) I then made my two administrative users and tried, from User B, to restore User A. My applications came back but nothing from the user folder: no documents, music, movies. There was a little red notation: "Cannot restore an encrypted folder."

I tried to reinstall Snow Leopard on my laptop using the CDs but the computer made a horrific beeping noise. From some Internet research, the closest I came to a solution was to go into the Time Machine backups and find and load the most recent sparseimage (of my old user A). I was able to load this sparseimage and open it and so forth, but I have been virtually unable to copy anything from it to my new hard drive. I had to copy my documents practically item by item. Photographs are impossible, as is music. I've been warned *not* to copy things one by one but to find and use an algorithm to restore the user and its files, so I stopped the item-by-item copying.

More nosing about on the Internet using terms such as "time machine", "snow leopard," "lion," "sparseimage" or "sparsebundle", and "downgrade" yields so many help articles that don't *quite* address my quandary that I don't know what to do.

Any thoughts?

(I am deliberately not posting every detail so as not to use up group bandwidth; if you need any more information, please contact me and I'll be happy to provide any missing information.)

Thanks in advance for whatever tips you can offer.

2. Brutalbrutus thread starter macrumors newbie

solution

Another individual gave me two good suggestions. (1) To copy the sparseimage directly to my hard drive, and (2) To use an older version of the sparseimage. I combined these techniques and was able to recover my data. Thank you.
    ;)