How to restore my iPhone 3G to 2.2.1 without updating to 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aluren, Jun 19, 2009.

1. aluren macrumors 65816

I just got my iPhone 3GS and wanted to sell my 3G on ebay. And since jailbreak for 3.0 is not out yet, I didn't want to update my 3G to 3.0. However, when I tried to do a restore on my 3G on iTunes, the only option I get is "Restore and Update (to 3.0)", which I don't want.

So my question is how to restore my 3G to the OS 2.2.1 (which I currently have on my iTunes since I never downloaded 3.0)?

Update: seems like people are selling iPhones with the 3.0 update on there... I guess I can do the same. I'm just worried that it won't go for as much as I would want (at least $300). I know I don't want to go through the effort of unlocking it myself, so I thought I should sell the 2.2.1 version so at least the buyer can unlock it...

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Download 2.2.1 from somewhere. And hit Shift restore and chose and find the file. Easy as pie.

3. BNZ1 macrumors regular

It should allready be downloaded from when you installed it. Shift-Restore will do it - http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97320

You can also go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings on the phone.

4. aluren thread starter macrumors 65816

lol. where's the EASY button?

thanks for your help.