how to retrieve photos off a memory card that can only be read by my canon camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by li1988, Sep 3, 2010.

1. li1988 macrumors newbie

HELP!! whilst uploading my 500 images from sicily yesterday my camera battery died in the middle and i always "upload and delete" so now no photos were uploaded and 2/3 were deleted.. My memory card (for some unknown reason) can't be read by my SD card reader and only by my camera. As im sure you know that canon's don't show up as hardware on MAC computers and therefore all the photo recovery prgrammes have failed to help.. well not all.. only the ones i tried which was about 4..

any suggestions of a programme that picks up cameras on macs?? or how to make my mac read the camera format as drive??

IM DESPERATE

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

The card is going to be formatted as FAT32 so why it can't be read by the computer is odd. Try connecting the camera with a USB cable directly to the computer. If that doesn't work, it's something with the card or camera.

3. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

mmm, I was about to recommend photorec, however than requires that the memory is readable by you mac. Silly question, but what happened after you recharged the battery? I imagine the delete action happens <after> the complete download.

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

It might be an SDHC card, most generic SD card readers can't read them. I had to replace my old reader once I got some SDHC cards.

$10 should fix it!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sometimes if you shoot a photo or two, the card will be readable again. (providing you don't have to recover data from the drive).

6. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

I agree

It should show up in finder, and depending on how you have your system configured, iPhoto should open right up.

Other ideas, hook up with someone who has a Windows unit, and burn to CD or external hard drive.

Or, if you have a hyper drive (http://www.hypershop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HDCSU-250&Show=TechSpecs).

sek

7. jampat macrumors 6502a

Do this as a last (very last) resort. If the pictures are deleted, adding data will make a mess.

Many good suggestions in this thread, keep crossing off the non-destructive ones first.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Launch Disk Utility.app.
    Insert card into reader.
    Does it show up in Disk Utility's window?
    If yes, run a Verify Disk on it.

9. mmoto macrumors member

Another option:
    Format the card in-camera then recover the images with recovery software. Don't worry, formatting will not overwrite your data.

-Brad

10. alta macrumors newbie

Finder worked

Thank you for the tip about using Finder, which finally gave me a solution! Connecting the cable didn't work, I was not able to see the last set of photos I took and the previous set I imported kept showing up as not yet imported. But when I went to Finder I found the unimported photos, opened iPhoto and imported those from Finder.