How to return iPhone bought from Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Oct 3, 2013.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I have searched but found conflicting answers. Nothing is wrong with the phone. What are my return options?

Can I return to an Apple Store or must I ship back to Apple?

Is there a re-stocking fee?

What is the time frame I must return within and if I send to Apple does it go by shipped date or their received date?

Thanks!

2. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I think you have a 30 days, no questions asked, return to Apple. For a $35 restocking fee, that is.

And yes, absolutely you can just return it right back to an Apple Store; any Apple Store, in fact.

3. D3TSURA macrumors member

It's right at the bottom of your receipt.

"If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone within 30 days of purchase for a full refund with no restocking fee."

Obviously you must have everything that originally came with the iPhone as well. Plus if you used an signed a new contract with your provider, I think you only have 14 days to return it so that you can be eligible for a upgrade again or terminate your line or contract without penalty.

4. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the info. So if I return to apple, how would ATT know to give me back my upgrade date(I paid the early upgrade price of 549 for 32GB)?

5. kbuck1984 macrumors member

So if I want to return my phone to an Apple store, but I signed a new contract with AT&T then I only have 14 days instead of 30 to bring it back?

6. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Actually, they only refund the upgrade fee within 3 days of purchase. But if you call them and tell them no one told you that they will usually reverse it.

7. D3TSURA macrumors member

While your at the store call AT&T and let them know that you returned the phone and would like your upgrade date changed. They may want to speak to the Apple employee that is processing the return to confirm that you have in fact returned it.

When I returned my 32GB 5s, after I hung up the phone I checked and my upgrade date had already been changed. Although mine was slightly complicated and I wound up have to cancel the line and had to add another line in order to get the 64GB 5s, but Verizon credited my account for the cost of the activation fee so that I wouldn't have paid an activation fee twice in a little over a week.

8. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

Girlfriend purchased for me on her card. Can I return even though her name is on the receipt/card? Or does she have to physically return it?

9. takeshi74, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Have you looked on the Apple site? No conflicts there:
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_us.html

Depends on the carrier and state. For example, TMO is 20 days. If in CA it's 30 days with TMO. If not on contract then an ETF probably doesn't apply. Customer should verify directly with the carrier.