How to rip my personal DVDs and watching on apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by spskaya, Jan 23, 2014.

1. spskaya macrumors newbie

Okay...I want to rip my own personal DVD from my library and be able to watch on my apple tv. My personal/work computer is at my office and I do not have a computer at home where my apple tv is. How can I make this work and will it even work? thanks

2. spskaya thread starter macrumors newbie

3. simsaladimbamba

Then it has no internal storage. You need some kind of computer to have iTunes on it in order for the Apple TV to see local content. Maybe there is a service out there, that is available on the Apple TV, where you can upload your own content and can stream from it via an internet connection.

Ups, that service exists and is called iCloud.

Share and store video on iCloud + iCloud: iCloud Photo Sharing FAQ

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are you recommending iMovie Theater as a solution for the OP's question? :confused:

5. spskaya thread starter macrumors newbie

I have itunes on my computer at work where I keep everything stored. ie music and movies that I have purchased through itunes. I am in the mac ecosystem meaning i own an iphone and ipad. I was just wondering if there is a way that I can rip the dvd and put it into itunes on my work computer then remotely from my house access and watch it via apple tv from home.

6. simsaladimbamba

I am not sure, as I just researched it. I do not own an Apple TV.

----------

You could look at AirPlay, if iCloud does not work.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

AFAIK, not easily for that scenario. Your AppleTV at home isn't going to be able to reach out across the Internet to your Mac at work.

I don't know how much capacity you have on your iPad, but a less-than-elegant workaround might be to rip your DVDs on your Mac, and transfer a few to your iPad. When you play them back on your iPad at home, it should give you the option to display them on the AppleTV (via AirPlay).

8. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Depending on how long the video is, here's how you can do it:

Rip the DVD on your office PC with hamdbreak.
    Sync the ripped file with an iOS device running iOS 7.
    Open the file with iMovie and create an event
    Upload it from iMovie to the cloud
    On Apple TV open that event on the iMovie theatre app

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14731?viewlocale=en_US

IMO, for what the OP wants to do, iMovie Theater is a no-go.

10. salohcin macrumors member

Depending on your network/firewall at work Plex might be an option. It's a little trickier to get working on an Apple TV than on something like a Roku, but it can be done.

You can test to see if it works first by installing the plex server application on your work computer and installing the iPhone app on your phone. Then try connection to the plex "server" (aka your work computer) from the app on your phone on your home network. if that works then you can research how to access it on your Apple TV.

https://plex.tv/

11. spskaya thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I have heard of Plex and will research that. I was just hoping there would an easier way being in the mac ecosystem. If I had a computer at home then I could do home sharing but I don't.

12. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

13. salohcin macrumors member

Yeah, I can't think of one. Not without setting up a VPN to your work network with your Apple TV, and doing that would probably be harder than setting up Plex.

14. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

Agree, Plex would be your best option if it works through your office's firewall. Once setup you would just browse your library from one of your ios devices and airplay the movie to your AppleTV.

15. warvanov macrumors 6502a

You're going to have to invest in some additional hardware at home in order to make this work. You need something that can store and host files locally. I suppose there might be some way to do that remotely with your computer located at work, but that would be an imperfect solution at best.

I would suggest finding a cheap Mac mini. You don't have to get a new one, you can find one that's several years old. I would recommend one that's capable of running the latest version of iTunes. Load your movies into the iTunes library on that computer and then use your Apple TV to browse and view them.

16. rankinmikee macrumors newbie

rankinmikee

If you're gonna save all your ripped DVD's in ICloud, you're gonna be shelling out a lot more money. Absolute rip off. Bung them all on an external hard drive and use HandBrakeBatch to convert them from VOB or MPG to MP4 or M4V, or else AppleTv won't even discover them - after all the labour of decrypting your collection. It's not a quick process. They'll want you to buy all your movies again from ITunes Store and lull you into seeing how much easier it would be. I hope you have a good salary. :(

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

This makes the most sense to me. At some point that work machine won't be yours to use and the content will be lost in any case. The oldest intel minis are under $200!

If you really really want no macs, get an old ATV, break it, and hook up a drive.

18. kelub macrumors regular

Surely you can find someone, somewhere, willing to part with an old system, even if it's a PC, to use as a home theater box. A laptop with a broke screen is usually pretty cheap to obtain as well - just hook a monitor up to it to get it going, then toss Windows + iTunes on it. It can run with just power and network connected to it (or use wireless, if the wifi card is N or greater). From there you can use an iPad to remote desktop to it and control it.

A home server box doesn't need to be anything fancy or high powered - it's a glorified file server. I've typically used core2duo (or the AMD equivalent) machines for my home server boxes with success. A laptop with a broken screen can be particularly effective because they're usually cheap to obtain, they're made to handle heat in small spaces, can be placed someplace inconspicuous, and even a USB 2.0 external drive can be used to store & stream the movies. Otherwise, yeah an older Mac Mini is a great option.

But there's not much of a way around the fact that you need something there at your house to do what you're trying to do. Of course, you can just buy all your movies through iTunes. You can also buy movies with digital copies and they'll be available to stream from iTunes, but that doesn't help your existing library, and not all movies offer that option. The ones that do it's hit and miss whether they provide an actual iTunes copy vs an ultraviolet or Fandango copy, and then whether or not it'll be in HD or SD - they used to always be SD, but lately all the ones I buy are HD digital copies, so it just depends. Plus if you buy a movie that's been out a couple of years, the digital option typically has an expiration date so the code isn't even usable anymore.

19. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Maybe I'm missing the point but if the OP already owns the DVD's would it not be easier to just buy an inexpensive DVD player and watch the movies that way at home instead of going through all the hassle of ripping them and then trying to find a way to stream them from the work computer back to the house?

Yes I realize it's not the same as having digital copies stored on the computer but sometimes simpler is better.

If that's not an option, or having digital copies is preferred, then I think the suggestion of getting an older Mini or Windows PC to use at home to stream to the Apple TV would be a good choice.

Jon…

20. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You might want to check on your IT policy at work. Some of the things being suggested may not be acceptable to most large companies and might compromise your job.

21. iceman17 macrumors newbie

If you have an iPhone or an iPad, this can be done rather easily.

1) Encode the DVDs using Handbrake onto your work computer.
    2) Download Air Video Server onto your iPad/iphone and your computer
    3) Use Air Video to stream the movies to iPhone/iPad and Airplay to your AppleTV

Works like a charm

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Free and will work no matter how fast your internet connection is between work and home: Put DVD in player. Press "play"

23. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Rip the DVD onto your personal/work computer with Handbrake.

Transfer the video file onto your iPad via wi-fi upload on the Infuse 2 app. (You will need to purchase the Pro edition within the app for $5.)

You can then AirPlay the video onto your home TV via your Apple TV.

If desired, keep your DVD rips on an external hard drive.

No need to use iTunes. I'm using this method and for now it's perfection.