How to run another instance of an Application by double clicking on its Icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ankitverma05, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ankitverma05 macrumors newbie

How can i run another instance of the application while the application is already running, by clicking on the application Icon in /Applications/.
    I dont want to run it from /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp

Can i link a script file containing statements
    (1)open -n /Applications/myapp.app
    or
    (2)open -n /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp

with the application icon click....

i have tried making changes in Info.plist of the application
    key-Executable file value-myapp {present at /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp}

changes
    key-Executable file value-launch.sh {present at /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/launch.sh}

As i know an Application Bundle on OS X can only be started once.by simply copying the bundle the same application can be launched twice.

Is there any solution for the above problem

Thanks
    Ankit
    ankitverma05@gmail.com

2. pmau macrumors 65816

The bundle identifier makes a running application unique.
    Try to copy the App Bundle and change the Bundle ID in the Info.plist.

Keep in mind that changing the Bundle ID has consequences with regards to preferences, caches and so on.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There is another way to do this but would not recommend it since it involves root.

I must say I have a powerbook and don't know if this works on Lion/Mountain Lion.

There is an App called Pseudo and if I drop any application on it it will open it as the root user, even 2 instances of finder running is possible, 1 as the user you are in and on as root.

Edit: I just duplicated an app, it adds Copy to the name and I was able to run the two of them side by side.