iPhone How to safely update to iOS 7.0.4 from 5.1.1 without losing anything ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by rak007, Dec 23, 2013.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I am on iOS 5.1.1 (jailbroken if that matters) and want to update to iOS 7.0.4.
    Now which would be safest way for me to go about this so that i do not lose anything like SMS, Contacts and hopefully whatsapp chat history.
    I tried in morning with my iPad and it gave me some error when i tried updating in iTunes (using IPSW, shift + update) and then my iPad went into recovery and then i had to use shift+restore with downloaded ipsw and then restored the backup but seems some apps did not restore back, no idea why.

Please suggest.

PS: I will be downloading IPSW of iPhone 4S because i do not have good internet and many a times iTunes update gets interrupted and starts all over again wasting too much time.

2. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

If you're jailbroken you should always restore to the latest version of iOS, restore from backup, and then rejailbreak the device.

3. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you mean to say that in iTunes instead of doing UPDATE, i should instead do RESTORE (shift+restore since i am using IPSW) and it will automatically update iOS 7.0.4 and it will be sort of clean install and then restore my backup (which i would have taken before restoring to iOS 7.0.4) and that should ensure that i do not lose anything ?

Can i do an OTA update of 7.0.4 and once that is done, i am hoping that my data and everything remains intact and then take a backup in iTunes and then restore again to 7.0.4 using iTunes so that in future jailbreak.

4. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

Yes, exactly.

5. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

6. matt94gt, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

matt94gt macrumors member

Help

Sorry for pulling up an old thread. But I'm in the same situation.

I have an iPad 1, the highest iOS I can put on it is iOS 5.1.1, I have jailbroken it hoping to update to iOS7, but after further reading this is not possible, right?

Is there anyway to get iOS7 on a old iPad thats stuck on iOS 5.1.1?

I did find this link:
    http://thenghui.com/blog/?p=1155

Thanks,
    Matt

7. chrfr macrumors 603

You're correct, there's no way to put anything later than 5.1.1 on an iPad 1.