how to save ipod selections out of itunes lib?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

hi all,
    i have a 30gb 5g ipod. my itunes music library is over 30gb. i have wha i want on my ipod and have it set to manual sync. my question is how can i save a copy of the ipod library? and to be very clear i am not trying to save a copy of files, but rather a "playlist" so that if something were to happen to my ipod or it had firmware problems or i got a replacement etc, i could restore it to all its previous song and video selections without having to go thru my entire itunes library and guess or re-decide which selections i want....

2. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

bump!

if what i wanted to know wasn't clear, i want a way to make an itunes readable list from which to backup my ipod from in the event that anything should happen.

3. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

There might be a better way but this is one way I know to save an iTunes Playlist. (Is this what you want?) Click on the playlist and do File, Print. . . . Then do Print. . . again on the bottom right hand side of the window. Lastly, on the bottom left hand side of the new window, click on PDF, Save as PDF. If the playlist is only on your iPod, download Senuti and put the library on your iTunes as a playlist (you can drag it in and make a playlist) and do the same thing as listed above. You can then delete the playlist on iTunes if you want. I hope this is what you want.

4. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

the playlist idea is what i want. i hadn't thought of that, using senuti, if i use it to bring over to itunes it wouldn't try n copy doubles onto the hard drive would it?

and would itunes later be able to create a playlist on my ipod by first reading the pdf file? if it could, i could just do that...

btw thanks for all ya help on all my posts, its really appreciated. i'm only a year into mac and i'm always trying to find limits and ways to do things. its been such a great system so far.