How to save text, contacts, photos without back up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBillups1, Apr 10, 2013.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i need to reset my phone to get rid of some bug and was told not to restore but how do i back up every file needed. i dont want to lose my texts, photos, contacts, etc, etc

PLEASE HELP!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are you currently using iCloud? If so, do you have it set to sync your mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, Safari, Notes and Photo Stream? If you do, then all of this data should be copied up on your iCloud account, so when you wipe your phone out, you can set it up as new, sign into iCloud, and all of that data should sync back down to your phone.

If not, do you have a computer you can use to copy the data to? If so, is it Mac or Windows? If you have a Mac, you can setup iTunes to sync your phone's contacts, calendars, and bookmarks over to your Mac. You can then use iPhoto/Aperture/Image Capture to pull your photos over.

Neither method will save text messages. I don't know of a way (outside of a normal backup, which you're specifically trying to avoid) of doing that. Maybe someone else will chime in.

You'll also lose your configuration for every app you've downloaded too, which can be a huge PITA.

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I thought when you set up your phone as new it eliminates the data from backing up? why set it up as new if you're gonna reload the backup with the bug or damaged file?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Texts: you don't :(

Photos: just dump them into your computer. Photostream should take care of this too, depending on how recent all the pics are. Safest bet is dumping them onto your computer though.

Contacts: setup google contacts. (I recommend this regardless if whether you plan to use apple products forever or not.