How to Save the home button from wear and tear

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hpye, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Hpye, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

Hpye macrumors 6502

Who else use assisitive touch on your Iphone to prevent from using physical home button

2. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

haha I have been using Assistive Touch a lot to save it from wear and tear and as a lousy man's Zephyr.

Need ma jailbreak. Stat.

3. Furifo macrumors 6502

While I appreciate people's justification of using assistive touch to prevent the home button from wearing out, I personally prefer just to use the home button as Apple intended it to be used - to me, it feels better using the home button rather than having to touch the assistive touch icon which is permanently on top of whatever app you're using.

I have AppleCare and conveniently have an Apple store close to me. If it breaks, I'll simply go down to the Apple store and pick up a fix/replacement.

Incidentally, ifixit have shown that the home button in the iPhone 5 is somewhat different to those found in iPhones of late. I think the iPhone 5 home button may prove to be more durable than the home button in the 4/4S but only time will tell.

4. dellAbait macrumors member

the home button won't wear down on these things. many many years later and the home button on my 2nd gen ipod touch is pristine as day one

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The experience of many people is that the iPhone home button stops responding correctly after 1-2 years.

This is a particular problem on the iPhone 4 and 4S due to the design of the button.

6. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I think getting gunk and dirt in the gap between the home button and the rest of the display makes things worse.

7. mateo124 macrumors regular

Just to make you feel better, my launch iPhone 4 home button still works perfectly even after pressing it tens of thousands of times for over 2 straight years.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

That's only the problem of the 4
    4S has already changed the design of the home button.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

I've used AssistiveTouch since it's debut in iOS 5.

10. richpuer macrumors 6502

My iphonen4 home button quit working on launch day of ip5. Perfect timing. I hope this current home button lasts longer

11. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

Just use the home button. There's hardly any wear and tear.

I used Assistive Touch for awhile and got used to it. But afterwards, using the physical buttons are easier. I don't have any "accessibility problems" so I don't need to use Assistive Touch.

Also, using the app Carat, turning off Assistive Touch would save me ~6 mins of battery life. Would rather have battery life > home button "wear"

12. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I don't use AT because of a bug I am experiencing where the backlight won't shut off when AT is activated.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never drive my brand new car just so I dont put any miles on it or any wear and tear:D

14. jedi74 macrumors regular

15. bobright macrumors 601

What the hell is assistive touch and how do I enable it?

I hate my home button and miss Zephyr:p

16. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Settings/General/ Accessibility/Assistive Touch

17. jedi74 macrumors regular

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope.
    Your home button will be fine even after many years of use.

19. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Rule of thumb: Just remember that you don't need a lot of force to push the home button.

20. tys macrumors 6502

On my jail broken 4, I almost never touched my physical buttons since I used activator actions for everything. . With the 5, having to hit the button literally hundreds of times a day, I'm also worried about wearing it out. Hopefully the new button is improved as some folks suggest. I do know lots of folks who's buttons stopped working on previous models. Thanks for the assistive touch suggestion, I wasn't aware of it.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What wear and tear?

Never had a home button crap out on me since 2007.

22. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Lololol, nope, if mine stops working out of warranty and no home button replacements are available, I'll switch to assistive touch.

23. Usehername macrumors member

I'm use to using AT. The little square does get annoying, especially when it shrinks back down after I open it and it disappears on me sometimes(watching videos).

24. zhandri macrumors 6502

they did change the home button on the 5. i think they put some kind of a metal plate behind it to make it stronger and more durable