How to sell an unopened iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vra24, Sep 29, 2012.

1. vra24 macrumors member

I've been reading on here for the last few day to try and answer this myself but can't find anything. I used my upgrade to order an iPhone 5 but was able to walk into the apple store and by one on launch day using another one of my lines. I took it over to the AT&T store to see if the could make sure it wasn't linked to my account and the guy said he'd have to open the box to do anything. He also told me if I sold it without activating it first I'd be charged full price for the phone. Anyone know if any of this is true and how to get around it?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Seriously this happens every year and the person always gets charged! Send it back!

3. jaysen macrumors 6502

If you're really asking what you should do, this is just a way of pleasing your conscious.

You already know the answer.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want a refund unless you're trying to profit from it. Just return it.

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

They don't just giveaway phones. That's why they make you take out a new 24 month contract. Yes, if you thought your expired contract is still that then look again. You are locked into a new contract. Sell the phone, but you still need to keep paying your line rental.

6. as0016 macrumors regular

Huh, you all are missing the point - I don't get the rants. He didn't get two on the same line or any accidents that allowed him to bend any rules. He upgraded one line - he's keeping that one. Then he was able to upgrade another line of his that he must not care about being locked into a contract on without a new phone (maybe its someone who isn't really into tech or w.e.). So, OP wants to know if he can sell the upgrade phone without having to open it.

I do not believe you can, at least on verizon, the phone is tied to your phone number when you purchase it and you can't override that until its been activated once.

7. vra24 thread starter macrumors member

EXACTY... I payed the upgrade fee.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will need to open it and activate it first. After the initial activation then its good and will never show you that window.
    If not the buyer will not be able to get by this screen below without your account info.

Attached Files:

9. vra24 thread starter macrumors member

10. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

If the account is not activated with the new phone, you either return the phone be charged for it.

11. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

12. vra24 thread starter macrumors member

I told the buyer I have to open it and he is fine with it