Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
I have an unlimited data sim in my current iPad 2 and want to know what's the best way to retain it without an iPad to place it in? I am set up on auto-renew so maybe it will just keep going or is the new one expected to be LTE?

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I would wait. The sim seems to be tied to an IMEI number on the ipad and if that number is detected with a different sim you might lose the plan. I'm just specualting of course and there is a 6 dayish grace period to start the plan back up when cancelled so worst case scenario youd have to buy and ipad to start the plan back up again once cancelled but might be better not to risk it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My understanding is that the plan is tied to an account that is being paid on. Provided you keep paying the monthly cost, even if you don't have your iPad, you should still be fine.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Easy. Just remove the SIM card and hold on to it, then install it in your new device. Your unlimited data plan is not tied to a specific device, it is tied to the SIM.

Just last week I bought an iPad2 to replace my iPad1. As soon as I unboxed, I swapped the SIM cards and voila, I had unlimited 3G on the iPad2. Didn't have to call AT&T to change anything.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I have an unlimited data sim in my current iPad 2 and want to know what's the best way to retain it without an iPad to place it in? I am set up on auto-renew so maybe it will just keep going or is the new one expected to be LTE?

Make sure the credit card that it's tied to doesn't have an expiration date that's up soon. AT&T is not the best at notifying you via email when this happens, although they were extremely helpful - after the fact - when it happened to me. But I only discovered it when I tried to get 3G on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.