How to Sell iPhone 5 on eBay??? Unique situation!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MilkMan4, Sep 21, 2012.

1. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

Okay so here's my situation.. on preorder morning, I was ordering from my iPhone 4 Apple Store App and on my computer at the same time, in case one of them ended up not working. So it ended up working on my computer first, and great I just got my iPhone 5 today. But the day after I preordered that one, I opened up the app and was just messing around to see what would happen, and it let me buy two iPhone 5 32gb at the 2-year contract price of $299. So now my second one will be coming on October 5th. Now when I was setting up my iphone 5 just now, when it went to activate it, my phone number showed up on the screen, and below it said something like "If this is not the number you wish to set this up on, contact AT&T after activation." It also said if this is not the number you purchased your iphone with call Apple at this number.
    So my question is, when I sell it on eBay, will the buyer be able to activate it on their phone number okay? Or is there a way I could call apple to have my phone number unassociated with that iPhone via serial number?? I'm not worried about them activating the phone on my number because it asked for my billing zip and SSN after i confirmed my phone number during activation, but will they be able to activate it under their phone number via apple or AT&T fine?

Any help would be great!

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Pop the SIM card out. The device will no longer be associated to you.

3. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

darn so that requires me opening up the package? okay and then does that require a special tool?

----------

and will I need to pull out the SIM card of my iPhone 4 when i ship that after it ends on ebay as well? or won't it matter as long as I reset the phone?

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

5. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

Want to buy it?

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Nope. I bought my own.

You basically know you are ripping them off. This is what we call "being shady".

7. rritterson macrumors 6502

Yeah, no. Even though you bought the second phone at the cheaper price, that order will be cancelled before it ships. Even if by some fluke it does get shipped, your carrier will probably realize they've paid two subsidies on your behalf and ask for the phone back or the $450 they paid out for you.

This happened to me on iPhone 4 preorder day, where I managed to get an order through Apple and AT&T within 10 minutes of each other. Apple cancelled the order for me, and I got the phone from AT&T.

8. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

you were the most helpful person here, assuming this is what will happen like it happened to you.

----------

but asides from the 2nd iphone 5, do i need to remove the sim card from my iphone 4 when i ship it?

9. rritterson macrumors 6502

No, because the SIM will be deactivated by AT&T when you activate your iPhone 5. But, since the new user won't need the SIM (they'll have to find their own), you may as well remove it first, just in case.

10. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks for the real help!