How to send a large amount of pictures over the web?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheShinyMac, Jul 7, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My grandma just got a sweet new dell 17 inch studio laptop, shes moving up from Windows ME:eek: My grandpa also moved into the digital age by buying a super nice canon dslr I put the pictures on their harddrive and now I would like them to send it to me, I have no idea how to send that many pictures, the folder is probably to large for her verison email thing. Any one have any ideas?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Perhaps Flickr or some other image bank that will allow you to upload hi-res images? She can provide you the password so you can pull them off there. If you have a website they can upload them there but that may be too complicated at first.

I would google web based file transfer sites like rapidshare or similar.

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

Don't know if I can help you on this, but here in Japan there are many network companies offering "Data Bin" file transfer services. "Bin " means "mail" or "delivery". The companies make money from advertising so the service itself is free to the user. You can usually tranfer up to 100 MB at a time free.
    Are there any similar services you can use over there? It is really painless, and in theory you could even use the Japanese sites, they are web based, but if you can't read Japanese you are not going to be able to do it. There must be a similar serve in English.
    :cool:

4. Nadinengland macrumors newbie

My Solutions to problems like this is always to run a portable web server on the computer, then compress the folder and download it directly from their house.

xampp is usually my utility of choice for this due to it's simple install. Setting up a web server isn't as easy as using a utility as Dropbox, but it will allow to to store alot more data, as it's already on the hard drive.

5. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Can't you just send them using iChat's file transfer capability? Or is there a size limit? (I don't know, I've never sent a file via iChat).

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, I'd say iChat. I've sent something that was 800 MB on iChat before. And it's fast.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Fast" is a product of the connection speed, not iChat. There's also the issue of explaining how to transfer files to an older generation that is probably less tech-savvy than the current one.

Seriously- investigate dropbox. Drag and drop, it can't get much easier.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Didn't know they made iChat for Windows. :rolleyes:

Dropbox would probably be a pretty good idea. Or Windows Live Mesh (5GB storage).

9. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

instead of iChat you could try msn.

However I would just use drop.io It seems pretty simple to me (but it might be a bit harder for your grandma).
    Just fill in the from and upload the file. Pass the URL through.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

www.yousendit.com works just fine. You upload, they send a download link to the recipient, and that's it. If needed, you can upload in several batches...

11. DaveF macrumors 6502a

How many is "that many pictures"? How much data? Is it 10MB, 100MB, 1GB, etc? What's their internet connection speed?

If they've got a gigabyte of photos and dial-up internet, the best bet is to burn them to DVD and mail it to you.

If they've got a handful of photos a few megabytes in size, email them.

Something in between, perhaps a flickr site or the upload options you've been given.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

13. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

The new version of Pando was just released today. It's free. This might be worth a look.

edit: I just saw you want your granny to send the photos to you, not the other way around. Pando would not help. But it looks like a nice little app. anyway

14. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

15. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Sometimes burning it on a disk and just mailing it is the easiest solution.

16. Nadinengland macrumors newbie

Especially for older generations that just done 'get it'. Second this motion.

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

I had this thought as well but passed by it thinking that it was the most obvious solution, but that for some reason the OP just really wanted them to send the files over the web. Maybe he has some aversion to physical media. Maybe the OP is steve jobs. :p

18. Nadinengland macrumors newbie

Well in my opinion, the OP must have access to the relatives house. In this case then he should use a service such as Dropbox. Just installed it and it seemed pretty nifty.