HOW TO? Send secondary display to Apple TV (Airplay mirroring)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by VideoBeagle, Oct 12, 2013.

1. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I have a 2012 iMac. It has a secondary display attached through HDMI. It runs Mountain Lion.
    I just an Apple TV.

I can mirror the primary iMac screen.

I would like to instead mirror the secondary display.

Is this possible?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Not until Maverics becomes available. Even then, aTV screen will appear as independent 3rd display alongside internal and HDMI screens, imho.

3. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I was hoping if it didn't work now with ML, it would with Mavericks.
    (I don't care if it's a third screen rather than mirroring the second...it's more I want anything that's NOT_main-screen.

4. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

AirParrot can do that with Mountain Lion, although it's functionality built-in to Mavericks.

5. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks...I discovered AirParrot after my last post here. I'm look at it if it's "application only" mode could be used with VLC,

(Given the lack of much talk regarding VLC and AirParrot I can find googling around, I'm guessing it's not great? )

6. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

I'm not sure I understand how that would work?

AirParrot has three modes: Display (mimics AirPlay Mirroring to an Apple TV), Extend Desktop (uses Apple TV as additional display via AirPlay), or Specific App (mimics AirPlay Mirroring but only mirrors a single app). I would imagine VLC just remote-controls a display or multiple displays, in Specific App mode AirParrot's not extending the Apple TV to be an additional display.

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yep, Mavericks has you covered. It'll be out by the end of the month.

[​IMG]

8. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well right now, a major thing would be watching non-iTunes compatable media, of which I have A LOT, on my nice big living room tv.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

So, where's the problem?
    Already tried Beamer?

10. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Mavericks is due out next week (probably only $20), you will be able to use Apple TV for second monitor, play full-screen video there, and still use your main monitor on your Mac at the same time. With Apple's Remote app on an iOS device you can control that video on the Apple TV, so you don't have to be in the same room with your Mac.

11. kaess macrumors member

Has anyone tried this yet? In my experience, Airplay Mirroring video content with Mountain Lion lags and stutters. Does using Extended screen with Mavericks improve video playback from Mac to Apple TV?

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I've done YouTube vids this way, worked fine - but I never had problems under ML either. The benefit now of course is that I can do something else on the MBA while the video plays on the ATV.

13. jwhazel macrumors regular

I did a test from my mini to my wife's 13" pro with AirServer installed on it (don't have an aTV yet, wanted to test this before I bought one). Both were connected via wifi. Although it only showed in 720p for some odd reason (I suspect an issue with AirServer), it worked amazingly well. Mouse and scrolling were very fluid. Only issue was occasional aliasing around text due to compression but I suspect that could be mitigated if not eliminated by hardwiring the connections. Aside from that minor issue, it was just like having the screen actually connected to my mini. YMMV

14. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Try ClickToPlugin. It will AirPlay your YT stream directly, without mirroring! You just have to conf your :apple:TV IP addrrss in it's settings. It doesn't discover them on network by itself.