How to set Mail to open on the Inbox - also what is On My Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applefan289, Apr 9, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Whenever I quit Mail and come back to it, it always starts up with the last folder I was in (whether it'd be Sent Items, Trash, etc.). Is there an option to set it to always open in the Inbox? Also, in the Trash folder, there was a sub-folder called "On My Mac". I deleted it because I don't think I had seen it before - now it just says "Trash". Just curious as to what that was.

Also, in iTunes there's a similar thing where it opens based on what you were viewing before. Like if I was viewing "Purchased", it will come up with purchased (the last selected option) rather than the iTunes store.

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Chances are when you close the mail application, you didn't quit it, its just closed but working in the background. Meaning if you want mail to start fresh with the inbox again you might decide to (1) quit mail so when you reopen it, it shows the inbox or (2) click on the inbox then close it.

The same goes for the iTunes, when you close it, it doesn't actually quit, its just minimized on the dock, you can recognize this by the little blue dot underneath the application icon. (depending if your system is still on default dock settings)

I hope that answers your question :)

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't really answer it.

I make sure to quit all applications when I'm done with them by pressing command+q. Mail still comes up with the last selected folder.

Your second option (to click on the inbox before I quit) would work, but that's really the point of my question.

Basically, I want Mail to work like how Outlook Express works on my PC. Even if I click on Sent Items on Outlook Express, after I quit and reopen it, it starts on the Inbox again. This doesn't happen with Mail (or iTunes), etc.

I guess there's no option for it then, it doesn't really bother me that much, I was just curious if there was an option. I've noticed that Apple likes it when applications pop up with how they were last used, e.g. iOS and Mac OS X Lion.