How to set up iPhone NOT to charge when you plug it into USB on mac?

iceman46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Krško, Slovenia
Because I heard, it is not god for battery to charge when its not fully empty.
At least I heard that.

Do you know what is the best way to charge iPone battery, to preserve its durability?

tnx

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
At least I heard that.

Do you know what is the best way to charge iPone battery, to preserve its durability?

tnx
Where's GJStudios when you need him? ;) Btw, that's untrue for lith-ion batteries. There's a very helpful guide on batteries here on MR, although it may take a while to find it. I learned a lot by reading up on lithium based batteries on batteryuniversity.com

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
At least I heard that.

tnx

Newer batteries actually benefit from being topped off instead of draining and charging. You really(at least according to apple) calibrate the battery once a month by doing a full battery use and charging it again.

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
If you still wanted to do this, I'd say the easiest way would be to remove the USB pin on the cord that provides the power to the phone. Of course you'd have to have another unmodified cord to charge with.

iceman46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Krško, Slovenia
Tnx for answers.

Ye, I heard it like you guys wrote.

So my problem is, because I use personal hotspot a lot, my iPhone gets charged every time i plug it into mac to use it as a hotspot.

It would be excellent to be able to tell mac or iPhone:
DONT CHARGE NOW MAN! :D

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Again, charging it constantly is ok, it won't ruin your battery. The technology will be worthless long before your battery doesn't hold a charge.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Short of cutting the USB Cable open and severing the (+) wire, no, there's no way of not charging the battery.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Hello,

please, can anyone tell me if it is possible to set up mac when you plug in your iPhone, it does NOT charge it?

tnx
Your iPhone battery will actually last longer if you charge it more often and don't let it drain to completely dead but once a month or so - to recalibrate the percent charged indicator.