How to set up my iPad1 w/Unlimited Plan to sell ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gigaguy, Mar 16, 2011.

1. gigaguy, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

gigaguy macrumors 65816

I want to transfer the ATT plan to whoever buys it.
    I guess I should wipe the entire ipad data clean but if I wipe everything wouldn't I have to go in and reset up the plan with my orig info to then go in and put dummy or new buyers info in?
    It's a little confusing.

2. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Just so you don't get robbed, I heard the unlimited sims it self go for like 400+ on ebay.

3. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm aware of the market, just want to know the setup steps.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I'd think you're better off canceling the plan and just letting the new owner get their own plan, though I guess I understand why you want to do that. Can you even transfer a plan like that?

Sounds more like a recipe for disaster to me, but I'm sure others will know better. :)

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Supposedly you just change the email and a temp password for them, which they change later.

Once they receive the sim card they can log in and change the billing info.

That's pretty much what I read from the ebay auctions.

6. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes the transfer is pretty easy, just not sure of the sequence of steps. As I was gonna sell it all together and not do the SIM sale alone as many are doing.

7. rkahl macrumors 65816

I'd go into an AT&T store (tons of them) and honestly explain what you want to do. See if they can't just transfer credit card # for the plan.

8. jonallan macrumors newbie

go to the following web page

https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

log in using your account and then update name, address, phone. reset the password to something that you can share with the buyer. for payment information, use a visa or amex gift card.

now you can either go and reset all settings and data or restore the ipad via itunes. after doing so, test the data connection via safari. it should still be live, as the at&t data account is active and tied to the imei and sim.

give the login information to the new owner. have him/her update the email address after updating the payment information with a new card either by going to the same web page or by going to settings > cellular data > view account.

9. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

'then update name, address, phone.' --
    This refers to putting in the new buyer's personal account data?

oh and thanks lots.

10. jonallan macrumors newbie

yup. that's what i did when i sold mine. account is now under his name and payment info, but the phone number assigned to the ipad remains. i believe this is how the account (regardless of updates to the name, address, login id, or payment info) can retain the plan.

another option would just reset the password and then let the buyer update it him/herself... that is if you trust the person with your personal info.