How to Set Your AirPods to Change Music Tracks in iOS 11

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

If you have AirPods, there are new features you should be aware of in iOS 11, including a new option to change tracks directly on the earphones using a double tap gesture.

The new gestures are available alongside current gestures, which allow users to summon Siri with a tap. All of the options for your AirPods can be accessed in the Settings app while the AirPods are connected to your iPhone or iPad. Here's how:

1. Open your AirPods case while your AirPods are near your iPhone so they connect.
    2. Open the Settings app.
    3. Select "Bluetooth."
    4. Tap the little "i" button next to your AirPods.
      [​IMG]
    From this menu, you can customize the name of your AirPods, enable or disable manual ear detection, choose to use the left or right AirPod microphone, and most importantly, choose what happens when you double tap an AirPod.

You can set different gestures for the left and the right AirPod. Options include Siri, Play/Pause, Off, Next Track, and Previous Track. The latter two options are new in iOS 11.

[​IMG]

To set a gesture, you only need to tap it. If you choose Next Track for one AirPod and Previous Track for another, you can quickly and easily switch between songs that are playing, without the need to invoke Siri.

Article Link: How to Set Your AirPods to Change Music Tracks in iOS 11

2. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

3. muddygun macrumors newbie

This was already a feature. The only difference is now you can have Siri on one EarPod and track skipping on the other. Very nice add.

4. LloydChiro macrumors newbie

LloydChiro

Very useful. I'm going to make my left ear Siri and my right ear skip to next track.

I've had my Air Pods for a few days now, but the one thing I wish it had was some sort of volume control slider. I would like to have a strip on the side of the pod where I could raise or lower the volume while I walk around, without having to fiddle with my phone in my pocket.

5. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

6. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

This is a very cool, very intuitive feature. If only I could upgrade now... The Office365 bug will have me waiting until it is fixed :-(

7. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

I’m glad this is a thing. Doesn’t help Me, as I typically wear my AirPods one at a time.

Still good stuff though.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

This is great, something I have wanted since I got them!

9. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Awesome! Now if I could just set them to not look ridiculous...

(sorry - maybe it's just me)

10. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This is the first thing I did when I upgraded my daily-driver iPhone 7 to the GM build last week. I've got left set to Siri, right set to skip forward. I skip tracks 90% of the time, so it makes sense to me to leave Siri available for texting, skipping back, switching playlists, etc. Hopefully in the future they'll add a triple tap option. What I'd like to see is double tap left for back, double tap right for forward, triple tap left for Siri, triple tap right for pause (so I don't have to take my AirPods out of my ears when I've got my hands pretty full checking out at a store or whatever and don't want to drop my AirPod, or I'm in a place where I'd feel weird activating Siri just to pause music).

11. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

12. cuencap macrumors regular

Next/Previous Song were NOT options before iOS 11. The only options were Siri and Pause/Play.

I too love this added feature

13. Cmbqwerty79 macrumors newbie

Cmbqwerty79

Definitely one of my favorite features of iOS 11

14. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

would love one more:

Jump back 15 seconds

(I listent to a lot of podcasts and audible.com)

15. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

I love my AirPods. They’re so cool and have so much potential.

16. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Anyone try this yet using a podcast app? What is the effect of this if listening to a podcast? Does it skip to the next podcast? If so, does it delete the current podcast as though it were listened to?

17. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Wrong, this did not exist prior to iOS 11.

18. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

I love having the option. But I guess I'm the only who constantly triggers Siri just from taking my AirPods out of my ears. No idea how that action feels like a double-tap to them, but I'm clearly "doing it wrong". While I'd like to skip tracks with double-tapping, I certainly don't want to do it unintentionally when simply taking them out.

19. jutdon84 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've been using this feature to pause playback by double-tapping for awhile now. Now, I get to pause on one AirPod and skip to the next track on the other. This is a very neat feature.

20. ThiGeever macrumors newbie

ThiGeever

The feature is kind of slow in my experience. When I double tap to go back to the previous song, the gesture doesn't take action until about 3 or 4 seconds after, so by the time the phone recognizes the double tap, the song I don't wanna listen to has elapsed enough for the phone to think I want to go back to the beginning of that song instead of the previous. So at the end I have to tap 4 times to go back to the previous song. Or is it just me? I have an iPhone 7, so should be fast...

21. GabrielMoro macrumors member

GabrielMoro

Enable one or triple taps + configurable options and its perfect. :p

22. mstrmke macrumors newbie

You should have used the new Screen Recording feature you spoke about in another article :)

23. BulkSlash macrumors member

BulkSlash

I’d love to see those extra gestures too. I was thinking they could also do double/triple tapping both AirPods simultaneously as one option for a gesture.

24. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

It's not just you, but after I had them for a couple days the utility so far outweighed the fashion I completely quit caring.

25. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Actually, double tapping both at the same time would be a great one for pausing that makes sense for some reason in my mind. This would be especially great if they're unwilling to add a triple tap.