How to share Prinnters between X macs

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
yes, this is my first time hooking up 2 or > macs - I finally converted my house of three computers from PC to macs.
I have an HP 4000 Laserjet usb'd to one of the macs that is acting as a file server.
I can see the printer from the mac it's physically connected to, but none of the other macs can see the printer - although they can see the shared drives on the mac w/ the printer

Do I need to drop $200+ for OSX Server just for printer sharinng? nah....

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: How to share Prinnters between X macs

Originally posted by maclamb
yes, this is my first time hooking up 2 or > macs - I finally converted my house of three computers from PC to macs.
I have an HP 4000 Laserjet usb'd to one of the macs that is acting as a file server.
I can see the printer from the mac it's physically connected to, but none of the other macs can see the printer - although they can see the shared drives on the mac w/ the printer

Do I need to drop $200+ for OSX Server just for printer sharinng? nah....
You have a few options:

1) Upgrade to OS X Server...not very economical for your use.
2) Drop in a jetdirect card, like this one, and add it to your local network.
3) Just use file sharing and manually/physically print from the machine directly connected...duh.:p

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I also want to do the same thing.

I'm just going to wait for jaguar

"Printer manufacturers Epson, HP, and Lexmark are integrating Rendezvous into their new printers to enable them to be added and removed from networks without configuration. When you add your Mac to a network, Mac OS X automatically discovers and connects to the available Rendezvous-enabled printers and you're ready to print."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/rendezvous.html

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
print sharing

I used to be able to do this in OS9 using a USB printer but now in OSX I can no longer. When in OS9 I had to have the printer software installed on all machines on my network (3 macs) in order to print from any of them...worked great. Now in OSX I just send the files to the computer that the printer is connected to.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
solved...

I bought a network card for the printer on ebay for 1/2 price and now all machines - PC and macs can see ther printer.

thanks for al the ideas...