How to Share Screens on 2 MBP's? One in NYC, Other in L.A?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by HappyDude20, Sep 10, 2014.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have a MacBook, my buddy in NYC just got a new MBP. He wants me to set up and show him some stuff and I remember back in the day iChat had screen sharing.

Anything like this exist now? Ala Apple Version?

I know Skype does it, though perhaps for a recurring fee.
    Google+ does it for free but I'm prevented from getting a Google+ account for business reasons.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Messages, which is still iChat? I do this with my Dad all the time.

You can also use TeamViewer which is free.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm sorry, are you saying Messages app on MBP allows for Screen sharing so long as both people are in this app other their respective MacBooks?

4. bobdamnit macrumors regular

Its built into OS X.

Make sure that the person who is trying to share their screen has Screen Sharing enabled in the Sharing System Preference pane. They will also need to know their IP address.

[​IMG]

In the Finder menu of the Mac wanting to view the screen, select:

And enter:

It should connect. For further info, see: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14147

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yeap. Use the AIM one (that's what I use) and you can do the screen sharing. Probably with the Mac one too, not sure... but def AIM one.

Or you can do what the person mentioned above.

6. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Re: OS X sharing settings for screen.

Per the Apple support page supplied, and from my clicking around, only works on the local network I believe (my emphasis):

"...control the screen of another Mac on your network"

The IP address under the screen sharing options given is my local network IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx). Not usable for someone on the outside.

Screen shot above also say "local network".

So, looks like TeamViewer or similar (eg. Google's Chrome Remote Desktop).

7. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Screen sharing is better than TV in my opinion noting i) I use to use TV every day from work to home and ii) I now use screen sharing.

Screen sharing is generic and as one user noted it can be done using a VNC viewer such as RealVNC's viewer which is free...the best, easiest ad safest was to do this is:

1. A little now fact, OS X -- the non server version -- includes the VPN Server that is part of OS X Server...download iVPN to access it features and setup the VPN server on your buddies computer, it takes 5 minutes.

2. VPN into your friend computer setting up the VPN connection in the Preferences / Network panel.

3. VNC using your buddies local IP address and voila, SECURE, no third-party server and less lag [relative to TV] connection with full screen sharing.

Trust this is helpful.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Yeah, VNC on a Mac isn't confined to a LAN. Services like Team Viewer are just that: they facilitate a VNC connection for computers with dynamic IPs and firewalls and port juju that is hard for some folks to manage.

The problem, of course, is that you, the knowledgeable one, aren't doing the setting up. All the solutions involve dude on other end doing some work. You need to find the dead easiest one for your friend. Sometimes having them point a FaceTime camera at the screen and following your instructions with the remote mouse and keyboard will get ya started....

I actually think some of the iOS apps are easier to use since many provide something your pal can download and install easily; he or she then gives you a name and password and you essentially can connect through their firewalls and such. Remoter VNC for example. It also allows for SSH tunneling, remote login, and other stuff that can be helpful, and if you friend has an iOS device it's handy for them as well.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and private and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently. Also, TeamViewer doesn't affect audio settings on OS X, as many have reported that LogMeIn does.