How To Stop Certain Parts Of Sites Loading In Safari.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Henri Gaudier, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I have a very slow dial up connection. It changes daily and today it's 26400 bps. The most I could expect is around 28000. I've spoken to the commune's mayor and there is still no sign of ADSL so for the time being I have to make do. In order to improve load times in Safari - I've trashed the favicons folder and locked the replacement folder. I've used a .css style sheet that's made a really great difference to page load times but there are still some annoying anomalies that I'd love to solve. Is it possible to identify, say a 1 mb gif in the Activity Window and stop it from loading in to decrease the page load time? Today I went to look at a review and it took 5 minutes to load in because content always comes after ads in page load orders and the reason for the long wait was for this big fat useless gif. If I could get rid of all the advertising guff, my internet experience would improve immeasurably. Any advice would be really appreciated. Oh and if anyone else is having a similar problems on dial-up I used the ad blocker from http://www.floppymoose.com/ and it really helped.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

for that type of flexibility, your best shot is firefox or opera.

3. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Hello Clevin. A while ago I tried my own shoot out between F Fox, Opera & Camino and I found Safari to be best. ( i.e. fastest ) With the improvements I've made the difference would be even more profound today if I timed them again. I'd be loathed to switch, research, try-out etc all the custom fixes on another couple of browsers. All the maintenance side of comp life gets me down. Also, ADSL is a lot cheaper than dial-up in France and so the whole situation is a head ache and drag but living in the countryside I've got no choice.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im surprised you find sfari to be faster than opera. ut i understand the situation might be different for each individuals.

anyway. safari is not very customizable, lol, you win some, you lose some. always.

Is there some type of web accelerator available?

5. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Yes there is but it didn't work at all for Mac although they claimed it did. I forget its name but it had a user settable graphics quality reducer. The more pixelated the images the faster it was meant to load.

I'm already paying around $44 for this service, when, if I lived only a few miles away, I could be on 20 meg ADSL for half that. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to contribute Clevin. Take care.