How to Stop Google Voice From Intercepting Voicemails?!

npro1464

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
My mom went from a Droid 1 to a iPhone 4S and has never received a voicemail due to stupid Google Voice! I've tried going on GV on her GMail and there's no way to disable it on there. The only way I could think of is to switch back to the Droid for a day, change it back to Verizon's voicemail service, and switch it back.

Does anyone know an easier way to do this? Thanks!

Oakmhcky21

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Call your service provider. I had a droid through sprint and when I got the iPhone I didn't get a vim for a few days. I then found out I had to call up sprint and they fixed it. Took at most 5 min.

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
If people are calling her Google Voice number, then it only makes sense that Google will take the voicemail.

To avoid this she would have to have people call the phone number that is associated with that phone. I use Google Voice and an iPhone 4 and when people call my primary number, Missed calls and Voicemails are listed in the phone app, but missed calls and voicemails from GV are always in the GV app.

Comment

npro1464

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Called Verizon and the rep fixed it.

Just a warning for anyone out there who is switching from Android to iPhone that also uses GV: make sure you switch back to your carrier's voicemail service before you activate your iPhone. It wasn't terribly burdensome, by my mom was walking around like without voicemail for a month (why she didn't try to fix it, how knows) :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks!

Comment

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
My mom went from a Droid 1 to a iPhone 4S and has never received a voicemail due to stupid Google Voice! I've tried going on GV on her GMail and there's no way to disable it on there. The only way I could think of is to switch back to the Droid for a day, change it back to Verizon's voicemail service, and switch it back.

Does anyone know an easier way to do this? Thanks!
Same number? Dial *73 from the phone to deactivate it.

Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
No matter what carrier you're on Google Voice uses conditional call forwarding to get calls to your carrier number to GV's VM system. If you want to disable it then look up how to disable conditional call forwarding for your carrier. The GV site will even give you instructions if you click on the link to deactivate GV VM for your phone.

Don't overlook Google for finding stuff either (how I found this link):
http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=164649

I've tried going on GV on her GMail and there's no way to disable it on there.
Were you digging through the gmail options or through http://www.google.com/voice? If you were digging through gmail it's no wonder you couldn't find it.

If people are calling her Google Voice number, then it only makes sense that Google will take the voicemail.
True but not germane to the OP. Granted, the OP wasn't very clear about this.

Just a warning for anyone out there who is switching from Android to iPhone that also uses GV: make sure you switch back to your carrier's voicemail service before you activate your iPhone.
Completely unnecessary. See above.

Same number? Dial *73 from the phone to deactivate it.
For Verizon, the OP's carrier. Will differ from carrier to carrier.

Last edited:
Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
Well, one very good solution would simply be to not use GV in the first place...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.