How to store MBP for long period of time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Feng Shui, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Hello! Its me once again with yet another question. I'm going on a 2 months summer vacation soon. So, I won't be using my MBP for at least 2 months. Just wondering if there's anything in particular I should do to store it. So far, I'm thinking plugging the power cord out (obviously), storing it in an area without direct contact to the sun. Should I take out the batteries also? Any other tips would be much appreciated! Thanks in advanced.

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Long Term Storage
    If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you remove and store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it’s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store the ejected battery at the proper temperature. (See “Notebook Temperate Zone.”)

Link

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the electronics will be fine. its just the lithium battery. i think you have to leave it around 40-50% charged i cant remember exactly…