how to "stream" 1080 hd MKV movies from MBP to ipad ?

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502
Original poster
hi i own an iPad 3 and a MacBook Pro
i've a collection of about 6TB mkv movies, mostly 1080 p
and i'm looking on how to play those files on my iPad.
can i stream it through my macbook pro ?
cause converting them using handbrakse is very time consuming :(
and will the ipad able to handle 1080p mkv without stuttering. ?

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ps3 Media Server .... Free and superb for transcoding anything. I use it to stream to my iphone/ipad/360/PS3.

Highly recommended.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
cause converting them using handbrakse is very time consuming :(
and will the ipad able to handle 1080p mkv without stuttering. ?

1, use remuxing, NOT HandBrake. Read thru my previous posts for more info on remuxing, I've posted hundreds of MKV -> MP4 remuxing-related posts.

2, nope if you play back a local MKV. Streamed MKV's are OK (via, for example, teh above-recommended AirVideo) but, then, you'll be presented lower-resolution footage and also need to keep your MBP on. Therefore, I'd go for remuxing (with, say, Subler) and playing back the resulting mp4's locally.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
2, nope if you play back a local MKV. Streamed MKV's are OK (via, for example, teh above-recommended AirVideo) but, then, you'll be presented lower-resolution footage and also need to keep your MBP on. Therefore, I'd go for remuxing (with, say, Subler) and playing back the resulting mp4's locally.
Actually the beta (seems pretty stable) of Air Video server now supports pass-through of h.264 files (including MKV) by leaving the video alone and doing real-time encoding of the audio. You get full 1080p and little strain on the computer where it's located.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Actually the beta (seems pretty stable) of Air Video server now supports pass-through of h.264 files (including MKV) by leaving the video alone and doing real-time encoding of the audio. You get full 1080p and little strain on the computer where it's located.
Wow, thanks! I haven't noticed this.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Thx for the replys
Btw my friend are using a pc to stream his videos 1080 mkvs to his galaxy tablet using Xbmc and he reccomend it for me
I,ve look around and indeed there is xbmc for mac and ipad.

Between xbmc and air video, which one is nicer?
Cause air video is paid and xbmc is free

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Thx for the replys
Btw my friend are using a pc to stream his videos 1080 mkvs to his galaxy tablet using Xbmc and he reccomend it for me
I,ve look around and indeed there is xbmc for mac and ipad.

Between xbmc and air video, which one is nicer?
Cause air video is paid and xbmc is free
XBMC wipes the floor with all other solutions.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
When will they release it officially? Seems like ages since the last update for the server side.

Otherwise big fan of AirVideo been using it since my original iPhone. A great app i recommend big time.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
But you can't run it on a non-jailbroken iPad

----------

When will they release it officially? Seems like ages since the last update for the server side.

Otherwise big fan of AirVideo been using it since my original iPhone. A great app i recommend big time.
No idea - I don't really keep up to date with the forum, but the beta server is working fine for me on Mac and PC

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Unfortunately, it doesn't, at least in one respect: it still doesn't support the Retina screen of the iPad 3. That is, all Full HD video playback (or anything XGA) is blurry.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Plex is xmbc for mac. It is seamless, I watch movies on my Mac mini then pick them up exactly where I left them on my iPad.

Disregard every other suggestion cause plex is perfect for what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.