How to Survive an Active Shooter Situation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Isn't the best thing to kill the shooter before he kills anyone else?

And if there are injured people around, would it not be good to try and save someone's life, even if it puts your own life at risk? Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this is working on the assumption you are in a gun free zone.

4. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Then avoid gun-free zones if you wish to lower the chances of being slaughtered by a nutter.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm sure there' a really awesome "what to do after a nuclear explosion" checklist. I'd rather not accept that either of our guides be considered normal

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I do. But most here are happy in those zones

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

When I was a young teen, I was in a club when someone let off shots. I don't know the story of why. The DJ at the club turned the volume up at a very uncomfortable level and it threw the shooter off guard. He was then tackled to the ground and arrested when cops came.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Unfortunately, the active shooter guide is normal. We all had to take active shooter training at work a few months ago. When we asked why -was there some threat to our company or building- we were told that many companies are unfortunately doing this, just in case. Most of the lesson seemed like common sense to me: run if you can, hide if you can't, fight if you can't do either.

9. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Most in CA are zoned out.

10. Scepticalscribe, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A question that occurs to me to ask: Did employees have the right not to take this - or could they choose not to avail of this - 'active shooter training'? And, if they did, or could, were there consequences professionally - were they thought less of as a consequence?

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

And this is ok? Why?
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be training for such a situation, but why are we so blasé about it being commonplace now?

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Free training , why not take it?

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't know. Nobody said anything about not wanting to go. Usually, people don't mind breaking up the day with any type of meeting although this one was kind of depressing. One woman cried during the visit presentation that had footage from past mass shooting.
    That's the real sad part. It's not ok and we shouldn't be blasé but unfortunately, that's the world we live in.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To a considerable extent, I find myself in agreement with you.

Depends on what is being taught.

Well, I'm European, so we tend to have a somewhat different mindset on such matters.

However, I will say that on account of the recognition of the strength of feelings on issues such as pacifism and those who would class themselves as conscientious objectors - who would object to ever even holding a gun - any such training in Europe in a civilian context could not be conducted unless provision were made for those who refused to engage with the concept of violence.

So, - and I mean this seriously - I get the attachment to the Second Amendment, and the right to bear arms. However, do those who prefer not to bear arms - those who are opposed on principle to using a weapon on someone else - do they, in a civilian company, get to have their concerns and principles recognised and acknowledged?

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Maybe someone should explain those comments to you .

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't need an explanation for victim blaming.

Its not the first time I've seen it here, I'm sure it won't be the last.

18. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm not sure an employee has the right to opt out of any type of safety training. I do know in some states, it's mandatory in schools.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And why not, if their personal principles, or - let us say - religious beliefs - refuse to let them bear arms or wish to take life?

This is respected in Europe in the sort of international - and supranational - organisation that can sometimes be found in troubled spots. The views of those who refuse to even touch a weapon are acknowledged and respected.

Obviously, those who serve in the police and the military have chosen to serve in these organisations, and that act of choice implies the desire - and need - to acquire certain skill sets - and this means that they must know about weapons and need to be taught how to carry and wield and look after them them appropriately.

Civilians are an entirely different matter, and, given that so much is written about the Second Amendment, its rights and so on, I do wonder whether the right to bear arms includes - conversely - the right not to bear arms, and if this is recognised.

20. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Well, active shooter training wouldn't be teaching you how to handle a firearm. It would just be what the proper protocol is if a shooter is present in the building, e.g. "We recommend hiding behind a large object."

But to answer your question, I would think if a company allowed employees to opt out of any type of drill or safety training, then they're opening themselves up to lawsuits down the road.

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not sure I get the value of active shooter training situations in the context of many work places. It seems like the majority of these workplace shootings are in private companies with restricted access- the people doing the shooting most often disgruntled employees.

So great, tell them to hide behind the copy machines, the reception desk, the curtain. If the training works, the killer will probably be sure to check those hiding spaces.

The advice in the video for the most part is pretty much common sense...
    1) exit the building however you can
    2) if you can't exit hide
    3) don't attack the shooter unless you have 3+ people and he's not using his gun

23. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You need your sarcasm meter adjusted

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm not sure what you mean by do people of a civilian company get to have their concerns acknowledged? Acknowledged how? By not going to one of the classes or in another way? If you meant by not going to one of the classes, I don't know.

25. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I don't think one exists.