Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junkionxl

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Delaware
Does anyone know where I can find a hard drive to swap out of a 5gb ipod and make its a 20gb? If so wouldn't it be a toshiba drive? and yes I do know that this will void my warrenty.

Chef Ramen

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
i couldnt fathom making such a modification...id be very much afraid of totally ****ing up an ipod

if i were you id sell it and get a new one

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah generally speaking, the 1.8" HDs are still expensive enough for consumers that it's just about as economical (and a whole lot safer) to sell it off and buy a 20 gig. unless you're *very* talented inside subportable devices, you're better off that way--

pnw

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
It woudl definately bbe an awesome mod to see but I have ot wonder if you eed to "bless" the drive or anything to be comaptible with the ipods firmware. It woudl really suck if you had everything right and then the ipod realized the harddrive was wrong and killed itself.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
can you even buy the toshiba drives, or are they just for people like apple and companies to put in devices.

iJon

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Physically it probably is not possible. The 5gb cases are slightly different then the 20. The 20 has the touch wheel not the mechanical one and the chrome case piece is a few millimeters larger then the 5gb. So even if you did get it open and install the drive the chances of you getting it back together properly are slim to none

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
can you even buy the toshiba drives, or are they just for people like apple and companies to put in devices.

iJon

i think you can buy them on ebay :) they are expensive tho.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
just sell the 5 G pod and buy a 20 G.

if you'll change the HD yourself, no way of having still the warranty..

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
Don't do it youll brake it! BTW i think that the different drives have different sizes- so a direct swap of drives may not even be possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.