How to switch from Verizon to AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Dec 11, 2011.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I have the iPhone 4S on Verizon, and I'm still within the 14-day time period where I can terminate the contract without paying the termination fee. I want to switch back to AT&T (where I had used the iPhone 3G for 3 years), and wonder what's the easiest way to do it?

I know when I ordered the iPhone 4S on Verizon from Apple.com, I just entered my phone number onto the website, and Apple took care of everything for me. I didn't need to call AT&T and cancel my service.

So can I now just call AT&T and ask them to reactivate my service on my same phone number, and not bother calling Verizon? And then I can go return the iPhone 4S at my leisure (before Apple's 30 day return period ends)?

I'm not sure if I can do that, because I'm looking at the Verizon Service Agreement that I signed, and it says I need to return the iPhone to Apple and then contact Verizon to cancel the service. It also says that the service will not be canceled until Apple receives the iPhone.

2. fins831, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

fins831 macrumors 6502a

check post 3, better than my response, edited

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

1) Go buy an iPhone 4S from AT&T and start service. Have them port your number over from Verizon. This will automatically cancel your service with Verizon. As soon as the port is completed(within minutes), your service is cancelled.
    2) Find out where to return your Verizon iPhone and do it.

Regarding what the person told you above, you will never have to call Verizon and cancel if you do what I said in step one. The porting of the number automatically cancels your service with Verizon.

4. x986 macrumors regular

Could you please tell why you want to go back from Verizon to AT&T? I'm thinking of going the other way.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Likely they want coverage!:eek:

6. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Well in my area, there were a few places where I got "No Service" on my iPhone 3G with AT&T, so that's why I switched to Verizon when I got the iPhone 4S. Now that I'm with Verizon, the coverage might be a little better (never seen a "No Service"), but a lot of that service is with the slower 1xRTT. Sometimes I can't use the internet if the phone says 1xRTT or even 3G. Sometimes if I'm sitting in the same spot, the internet doesn't work at all, but then a few minutes later, it works fine. Verizon's data network just seems too flakey for me. Even voice calls don't seem clear, maybe not as clear as they were on AT&T. Not that AT&T was perfect, I don't think either AT&T or Verizon are all that great in my area.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This was a common problem I saw on CDMA networks (1x moreso, less often on EVDO). Data connections tended to just peter out after a while, and the only way to get them started again was to get a whole new data session (which on an iPhone means, at the very least, turning Airplane Mode on and then off again).

I was an early tetherer on Sprint and later Verizon, back when it wasn't exactly sanctioned, but not explicitly forbidden either.

I wish I knew what caused this, but I have no idea, only that it happens. Sometimes keeping the data connection alive with active pings or streaming helps. But when you have a battery to worry about, or even a data usage cap, then it's not wise to do that.

The problem for me went away when I moved to AT&T in early 2007. I would've thought they would've had that issue figured out by now. Guess not!

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Do exactly what he says. I did this a couple years back when I joined my brothers family plan. Just make sure you do it a couple days before the 14days is up so that there's time for you to return the phone.