How to sync iPhone contacts w/ blank Google contact list w/ manually manage in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by g35, Oct 9, 2010.

1. g35 macrumors 6502a

So, say I have 100 contacts in my iPhone address book, and 0 in my Gmail address book. How can I send the 100 contacts to Google without deleting them from my iPhone? I tried checking just the sync contacts to google box in iTunes, but it tells me it's going to delete all of my apps (and probably my music) on my iPhone! I'm guessing this is because I checked "Manually manage music and videos" in iTunes.

I enabled a Gmail exchange account but that just creates a new empty contacts category, it doesn't copy over my phone's existing contacts. Do I seriously have to wipe my phone's media in order to sync my contacts with Google?

2. OhioLefty macrumors regular

Here is what Apple support says > Link

Apple's explanation isn't real clear and sounds like what you tried. Try putting one "Fake Contact" in your Google Contact list if there aren't any already there.

It's been a while since I did this but I think what you have to do is create at least one contact in Google in order for it to Sync. Create a "Fake Contact" in Google (Google account on your computer, not on your iPhone) and leave your iPhone contacts the way they are. When you start to Sync, pay close attention to what is about to happen. If it doesn't look right, Stop! If it works the way it is supposed to, it will Sync your iPhone contacts to Google and Sync your Google contacts (the Fake Contact you created in this example) to your iPhone. So now you should have 101 contacts in both places by your own example. If this works, then you simply delete the "Fake Contact" and Sync again and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Let me know how this works for you...

Edit:

Just thought I'd add another suggestion if you want to sync your contacts with your Google (I do this with my Google, GMail, Calendar) account. I use an app available from the Apple App Store called "Sync in a Blink". This app has worked flawlessly for me for over a year now and I wouldn't be without it. Sync over 3G or WiFi right from your iPhone with no need for iTunes or a computer. You always have your contacts backed up.

3. g35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply. I just gave up and manually added each contact to Google. Huge pain but I was watching a hockey game anyway, so no time wasted I guess. Anyway Sync in a blink looks great, I'll keep that in mind for next time if this ever arises again.

BTW, by add 1 contact to google then sync, you do mean over exchange right? Not through iTunes, or am I mistaken?