How to sync only particular podcast to the phone? (iTunes 11.2.2 / iOS 7.1.2)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by fanta, Jul 10, 2014.

1. fanta macrumors regular

The new podcast app is driving me mad!

I have about 10 Podcasts subcribed in itunes and i manage them there: meaning mark heard/unheard, delete, download.

I want to sync some of thos 10 podcast with their episodes to my iPhone but when i do so, older episodes are not on the phone and the phone lists already deleted episodes as available. It seems that the podcast app manages the podcast itself and does not take the information/status from itunes?

Is there any way to have a one way sync (overwrite) that from itunes TO the iphone?

I really wish they brought back podcasts into the normal music app or at least let us choose

2. fanta thread starter macrumors regular

3. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

As you have probably seen, the only real options you get in "Sync"ing is newest 3 or 5 episodes or ones not heard...stuff like that, very basic. If you want to a little more picky you have to make a playlist in iTunes and then Sync that playlist. Once you make a playlist with just Podcasts in it, it will show up as an option once you go to sync with the phone.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Managing Podcasts has become a huge PITA syncing between iOS and iTunes. I pretty much don't bother with syncing and just manage them all on my phone.

5. fanta thread starter macrumors regular

i have to agree. i am not able to find a scenario or settings where i can just mirror the current podcasts from itunes to my phone. podcast.app will fetch or list episodes that i have deleted or not yet downloaded in itunes.

also syncing a playlist with podcasts to the phone is not possible as the playlist will appear empty in the music.app...

if anybody has some ideas or "best practise" - please let me know!

thanks

6. g35 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem (I think). I have certain episodes I want to hear, but it shows me all 300 episodes of the podcast ever made, making it impossible to find the certain ones I downloaded.

The best solution I can offer is one of these:
    • go to podcasts > my stations > all unplayed
    • download Overcast. It's a free app with in-app purchases but for basic use the free version is good enough. But with this you lose syncing with your iTunes on computer