How to take a snapshot of my hard-drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MathBunny123, Aug 30, 2013.

1. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

Hello. I currently have a 11 year old computer running Windows XP, and I want to take all of the applications from it along with the operating system and place them onto a virtual machine on another new iMac.

Is that possible? The reason is because I have software like AutoCAD which I no longer own the disks for.

Thanks in advance!

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I believe that both VMware and Parallels offers products and services that offer that functionality for their respective products. You should check out their websites for more information.

3. iThinksimple macrumors member

iThinksimple

i'm not sure, because the character of Windows OS is not like Mac OS X,
    from my experience on the past you can't move Windows OS to another machine, unless the machine ( motherboard ) is similar with the previous machine that you've installed Windows OS,
    i don't know why, i always failed or it's only my bad :(

there was popular method called 'Ghost' to move a whole of Windows OS to another machine, but it's not recommended, if you use Windows OS for serious or daily uses,

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

The person is asking to create a VM image based on a physical machine. This is defiantly possible and what you are stating is not related to what they are asking. It has nothing to do with motherboards or "character" whatever that means.

Just for example - VMware fusion advertises exactly what the OP needs - it's done entirely through software.

5. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, thanks. :)

6. iThinksimple macrumors member

iThinksimple

sorry it's my bad, thanks for correcting me,