How to take care of rMBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ytech, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ytech macrumors member

ytech

Hey
    Since this is the only forum that I trust, I would like to hear some advices of how to extend my 2015 13"rMBP.
    I read all apple articles about it and they are not really helpful...
    I use my rMBP as a mobile workstation at least once a day without ability to connect it in to an outlet, now the battery last about 5-6 days until it gets to 15%-20% and than i fully charge it...
    Is there anything i can do better in order to extend the battery life?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just use your computer. Charge it when you can, run it off of the battery when you need to.

In your case, you could charge it every night or once a week. It doesn't matter.

3. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

use it till it no longer holds a good charge years down the road then replace the battery

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

By not caring about it at all. Your battery is programmed (much better than you are) to take care of itself. Just use the computer however you see fit.

5. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Just use the computer as you need it. Modern batteries don't degrade in the same way as older batteries used to.

6. chloepaige009 macrumors newbie

Not good to charge overnight everyday?

7. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Charging every night won't damage the battery. Once the battery reaches full charge the macbook automatically stops the charge.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Charge it however you want. Charge it overnight. Charge it for 30 minutes. Leave it plugged in constantly(so long as you let it discharge occasionally). It doesn't matter.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Even if you leave it connected it isn't charging continuously the whole time, its an intelligent charger that as above, takes better care of the battery than the user making decisions can. I drive mine hard (1200 cycles in 4.5yrs) and it still has 90% capacity, equally it has been connected overnight (11pm-7am) 100% of that time and connected 9am-5pm 50% of that time too...

10. ytech thread starter macrumors member

ytech

Thanks for all the replies, now when I don't use it for a few days, except shut down is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I don't bother shutting it down...just close the screen and leave it plugged in...it will be ready to go when you want it

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. It's a machine, it's meant to be used, not constantly monitored or babied.

13. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Shut it down, sleep it, use it, don't use it, doesn't matter. As said above, just use it. The battery is part of the machine and the machine is smarter than you :)

14. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I wonder how much that apllies to aftermarket chargers? Yes, I confess I use one, a 60W Lavolta, and have done for more than 6 months while the Apple original sits in the box. Thing is, I figure Apple will have sourced the original from the lowest-quoting supplier anyway.

15. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

The only thing I do to protect my MBP battery is never leave it plugged in for extended periods of time (month or more). Other than that just use it and charge it as you see fit.

16. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I believe there is some circuitry embedded in the battery (or maybe it's taken care of by the MacBook), the charger is a mere power source. A modern multi-cell Li Ion battery is a pretty dangerous thing that can burst into flames or even explode when overcharged, so the charging process has to be managed precisely.

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

Completely true, modern chargers give power in the amount the battery tells them to, not the other way around.

18. priitv8 macrumors 68020

19. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

I can confirm this.

Plug anytime you can with an original apple-charger. The MBP will charge it the best and take care the best itself. BETTER than you could do. Battery management is the only thing which works really great on apple devices.

Note: avoid recharges under 25% deep recharge is NOT good at all for Li-Ion batteries.

BTW: "little" charges of the battery are NOT counted in "number of charges". As you can see yourself on your notebook.

Coconut battery is a good app to look at it and ashure of all this.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

Batterie are Lithium-Polymer, not Lithium-Ion on MBPs, so with that said:

1) That's bullcrap. I've had my 2012 machine on the charger 98% of the time for the past 4 years, battery is still at 90% health.

2) By deep, they truly mean deep, as in you let your computer die, then left it that way for a week.

3) That's also true.

21. priitv8, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016

priitv8 macrumors 68020

OK, but I sadly have to report the opposite - my mid 2013 has only 412 charge cycles on it, but the health is down to 77%, meaning I got the "Service battery" message.
    I have the feeling, that HandBrake is one of the things that's behind this. When converting videos, the machine will be loaded at around 600% and hence battery needs to support the power supply for extended hours. And it gets hot at that. Not just hot, but over 40*C so that Coconut Battery gives me warnings.

To be honest, I have no idea, how the TI Fuel Gauge actually handles the battery - if and how often does it re-charge it, and what are it's thresholds for that.

PS if the article is to believe, Li-Polymer is no different from Li-Ion from the charging perspective:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/the_li_polymer_battery_substance_or_hype

22. NicCPH macrumors newbie

I agree with most above - don't worry about it all. I have never worried about it and probably done all the things that people say you should avoid.

It is a Macbook pro (17' medio 2010) with 1566 cycles and approx. 63% health.

23. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

A serviceman of an official repair service of apple told me NOT to use 60W chargers (neither the original apple 60W nor 3rd party charger) for a mac designed for 85W chargers. They saw sometimes problems with the batteries and even with the machines themselves because of the use of inappropriate 60W chargers for 85W machines, he told me to use ALWAYS the 85W charger.

As for the 3rd party chargers:
    Look at the comments of Buyers on Amazon about 3rd party chargers - I´d never ever use anything but original chargers (although much too expensive) .

24. snaky69 macrumors 603

That person needs to check his facts before advising this. There is no harm in using a lower, or higher, wattage adapter.

The adapter is a source, a power well if you like. The computer is the one that decides how much juice it needs.

Straight from Apple:

Lower wattage will not provide enough power to both charge the computer and make it run at 100% CPU at the same time, but that's about the extent of how different it'll behave.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201700

25. MrAverigeUser, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Perhaps you are right.

But apple told everyone until they were going to lose at a Canadian Court against a customer that there is NO problem with the GPUs in their MBPs. neither with the 2007/8 models nor with the 2011/2012 models. Now we know the truth...And Godfather Steve Jobs told us that there is NO problem with the antenna of iPhones: "You are holding it wrong!" … I could go on with these things, but I stop here.

They denied too often reality - so I have not too much confidence on them. I am NOT naive.

nevertheless - what they write might (!) be correct. But for me a citation of apple officials doesn´t prove anything 100%.
    Servicemen are so much nearer to real life and technical problems with products than people like Tim Cook, Jonny Ive and engineering people "perfectly developing" apple products.

To make a long story short:
    A statement of apple means not at all that this statement corresponds correctly with REALITY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.