How to take parts from some pics and put them into one? iPhoto or .....?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gloor, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I took some screenshots of a conversation and now would like to put it together into one picture. Can I do it in iPhoto or do I need another program? Any freeware?

2. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Just use preview. It's an awesome little app - included free with every copy of Leopard sold:D:D:D! Use the 'select' button from the toolbar.

Select the area you want from your first photo, copy it, and then go into your second photo in Preview and past the selected parts and they'll appear in the new image. Remember to hold down the mouse button on the 'select' icon from the toolbar....then you can do all kinds of magic including the 'instant alpha' tool.

Cheers

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Siriosys,

I've tried what you advised and I did manage to take parts of the pic but I wasn't able to put them together. I also can't find the 'select icon' you are reffering to. I'm still on tiger btw.
    When I choose area I want to take I then went to 'copy' and then when i went to any other picture I coudn't find 'paste' as it was grey. My idea is very simple. This is how I would do it in paint (don't have pc now ). I would cut some part of a picture, open new blank one, paste. Then I would go to another picture, cut, and paste on the new blank one I opened before. I would repeat this until I have a new picture with lots of cuts from previous picture.
    Now, how do i do that on mac? :))

4. Stitzu macrumors member

Hmm well if you're looking for something slightly more advanced than Preview but still reasonably easy to use, I guess you could try one of the following...

SeaShore (freeware)
    GIMP (freeware)
    Pixelmator (shareware)

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I did not know Preview was capable of all this! I have a whole new respect for it now. After playing with these techniques for a few minutes, I think this is all the image editing power I need. Thanks for posting!

6. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you guys. I'll check those apps you recommended.

7. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

My apologies in that I forgot to mention that I was using Leopard and I think those nice features are only in the Leopard version of Preview.

Cheers

R