How to tell if a USB hub is 1.0 or 2.0 speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by speekez, May 3, 2007.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

I bought a Belkin 4 port USB Hub a couple years back. I'm considering keeping it around for use with my new Mac Pro -- but is there any way to tell if the ports on the Belkin are USB 1.0 or 2.0? I suspect 1.0, since it is a couple years old.

If I plug a USB 2.0 device into the Belkin hub (which, in turn is plugged into a USB 2.0 hub on my Mac Pro), will it slow things down if the Belkin is indeed 1.0 speeds?

Also, any wire to determine if a USB cable is 1.0 or 2.0?

thanks

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You might look on Belkin's site. If you know the model or such of your hub I'm sure it tells you there.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

USB 2.0 is a lot older than that. Apple didn't appear at the USB 2.0 party until 2003--four years ago. Is it even possible for a USB hub to limit communications to USB 1.x specs?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes heres what you do. go to :apple: ->about this mac->more info

then click on usb. all usb connections should be shown. click on your hub as it should show up (should say hub if its like mine) and if it says max data transfer is 480Mb/sec for speed its usb 2.0 and if its significantly less, like 12Mb/sec or 1.5Mb/sec its usb 1.1

if the hub is usb 1.1 and you plug a 2.0 device into it it will slow to usb 1.1. a good example of this is trying to load songs on a video ipod on an emac with only 1.1 ports. the ipos itself is 2.0 but it is indeed limited to 1.1 speeds.

hope that helps

5. speekez thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the very helpful replies.

I did happen to locate a model number on the unit: F5U021

From what comes up in Google, it looks like a 1.1 device. Sounds like it won't have a place in my new Mac Pro workflow, as it will handicap the 2.0 potential of the machine