How to tell if an airport express is 802.11g or n?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dingamahoo, Jul 17, 2009.

1. dingamahoo macrumors member

I bought an airport express on ebay and set it up in my house to connect the printer in the office to the network. My airport express base station is 802.11g.

But I'm going to build a Mac Mini media center around the base station and suppose that I should have the base station on 802.11n (it's faster, right?).

So before I have to go out and buy a new 802.11n base station, I thought I'd try to figure out whether the airport express I got on ebay is "n" or "g." But I can't figure out how to get those specs on it.

Thanks so much if you have a suggestion.

2. cube macrumors G5

You should get a base station that can simultaneously serve N-only at 5GHz and G-only (or B/G mixed) at 2.4 GHz.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

I'm not sure what question you're answering.

Go here:

http://support.apple.com/specs/#peripherals

and enter your serial number. It will then detail the specs on the device in question. If all you're doing is using the AE to enable remote printing, 802.11g is fine.

4. dingamahoo thread starter macrumors member

By reading the "Airport Extreme Base Station (N & Dualband) and 7.4.2 - Videoplayback still stutters" thread, I'm starting to get what you're saying.

The N side would serve the mac mini media center I'm building, while the G side would work with the airport express for the printer (and the iphones). Did I get this right?

My only worry would be encountering the problems being encountered by the users in that other thread.

And thanks for the replies.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just connect to it while you have iStat installed and look at the connection speed (theoretical). If it says 54Mb/s, you've got G, but 120-140 (can't remember exact number) mb/s is N.