How to tell if MBP is BRAND new or not.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jshelton, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I purchased my MBP 13" from Best Buy. I exchanged it for a different one because of screen issues. I looked closely and the tape that seals the top of the box. You know, the clear tape that you have to cut to open it. It had an old piece that had been cut, and another piece had been placed over the top of it. Would Apple have removed it from the box after packing it?

I am just curious I guess.

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Did it boot straight to the computer itself or did you set up an account and internet connection and stuff?

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

It played the intro video, but so did the one I returned after I reinstalled OS X. I had to set up the account and such.

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I'm better versed with this kind of stuff when it comes to Windows machines but there must be a way of seeing old files which a previous user may have left on the computer without overwriting in OS X, if there was someone using the machine before you.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Was the plastic sealed on the computer itself? I'm talking about the label that seals the plastic. If it was don't worry about it.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Oh yeah... forgot about that thing. If the OP did have a used computer he wouldn't know what you're talking about though, haha.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I'd be more worried if the tape that holds the plastic that covers the MacBook was cut.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's not hard to do this. Just shut the unit down when the installation finishes and before the start up welcome video.