How to tell if Retina MBP comes shipped with M/L ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LevMac, Sep 8, 2012.

1. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey guys,

How does one tell if a Retina MacBook Pro comes already shipped with Mountain Lion ? On the box it writes "Mac OSX" and does not mention which version it has ?

I know on the non-retina MacBook Pro's you can actually see the picture of the wallpaper and you can generally distinguish if it has Lion or Mountain Lion.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Boot the computer up and see which version of OSX is loaded on.

Apple doesn't change the box based on the version of OSX, that would be add unnecessary work and expense. I think at this point most of the inventory has been turned over and any new rMBPs should have ML

3. dade247 macrumors member

They change the wallpaper on the MBPR on the box.

4. h3blade macrumors newbie

reboot ur mac or close any windows and click help menu(the last one).

the help center will tell u which version of OSX, my rmbp reports ML

5. kjlake macrumors member

If you select "About this Mac" from the Apple menu, it will tell you which version. If it is 10.8.x then you have mountain lion. If it is 10.7, then you have lion...

I just got my rMPB on Thursday and it came with mountain lion.

:)

6. sno1man macrumors regular

I think what the OP was after (judging by the fact that he asked about the picture on the box on regular MBP) was a way to tell PRIOR TO PURCHASE which OS was on the machine.

I'd be worried if he didn't know enough to go to About this mac.

That all being said, probably the only semi-reliable way would be if you could get access to the serial number of the machine. If it was manufactured anytime since August you almost certainly will get ML.

link to decode apple serial number
    http://www.tuaw.com/2005/04/14/when-was-your-mac-born/

7. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey sno1man, yes you are correct :)

I know how to look up which version of OSX it has by going to About This Mac, but I wanted to know how to check without opening the box before I made a purchase, and yes I know I can download it for free but would rather have it come shipped with Mountain Lion :)

Thanks will check the serial number idea :)

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

if you plan on purchasing from apple it will be pretty tough to get a non ML version

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I cannot imagine that there are many (if any at all) Lion rMBP's about these days. I would think they have mostly been sold by now. rMBP's were like gold dust beck in Lion days.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Considering the backlogs, all Lion stock will have been exhausted. You are guaranteed to get ML, as it's been shipping with that for several weeks if not a month now.

11. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried Internet Recovery on a out of the box Mountain Lion rMBP?

Does it restore you to Lion or Mountain Lion?

12. sno1man macrumors regular

Good luck. We just got a couple new airs in for work and the both had ML and the serial numbers indicated they were manufactured the 3rd week in August.

To AzN1337c0d3r

yes we have tried the internet restore on a RMBP that came with lion but was upgraded to ML. When you do internet restore, it restores lion.

Not sure of the mechanism that is used (probably MAC address)

It's a pain too because that means you would have to do a double install to get to ML unless you made a UDB drive image prior