iPad mini How to tell if your rMini screen is manufactured by LG or Sharp.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BygSii, Nov 14, 2013.

1. BygSii, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

BygSii macrumors member

How to tell which screen your rMini has. Lg? Sharp? In the near future... Samsung?

I hear that the quality of the Sharp LCD screens are lower. http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/08...ue-to-burn-in-issue-on-sharps-display-panels/

I hear that the Space Grey 16GB iPad Mini Retina has an LG screen. From the looks of the picture, LG screen is also yellowish/warmer in color. http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/13...ni-reveals-a7-chip-lg-display-larger-battery/

I've also seen that the White iPad Mini 16GB retina has a washed out screen with a narrow field of color compared to the Black iPad Air. Couldn't find the link.

I wonder if Apple gets a screen shipment in, on that day, say LG; and if they are producing 64GB White iPad Mini with Retinas... that a big batch of them get produced that way, or if they are like "Blacks get the LG's! Whites get the Sharp!"

I ordered a 32GB White, because that is what I wanted. I should get it next week. I sold my black Mini, and the chamfered edges scratched too easily on the black, so that's why I switched.
    Your thoughts on the iPad Mini Retina screen? Have a rMini yourself? How do you like the screen? Post your comments below.

2. locust76 macrumors 6502a

Open it up and find out.

3. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for idiots to go into the Apple store asking for an LG screen and making them open 10 minis to find one.

4. BygSii thread starter macrumors member

There should be a way to check with the Serial number or through an app like Geekbench 3.

5. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Do you sleep better at night with a samsung screen or an lg screen?

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If iOS exposes an API that allows you to determine screen manufacturer, which it doesn't.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you tell the display manufactorer now on the current iPads, or iPhones? I doubt there is a way.

I'd also not get worked up who made what, but rather be sure the iPad works as intended. Then relax and enjoy your iPad. If it does not work as intended then return it.

8. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I have a 32GB rMini and the screen is gorgeous. Better than my Air, for sure, it's a lot sharper.

9. BygSii thread starter macrumors member

What color did you go with?

10. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

I found out that not caring is the best policy. Enjoy your amazing technology instead.

11. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I suggest cracking open your iPad mini to confirm it's manufacture. You'll need an ice pick and a blow torch. Don't worry if you find a bad screen because your unit will be completely FUBAR.

12. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Space gray.

I tried getting photos to compare the Air and Mini but they just don't really turn out well to showcase the differences. It's not massive, but I feel like the Air has less fine detail on pictures when you get super close up and the Mini has more refined details.

13. evasquez7 macrumors member

Ya. Let's not care about the quality of the $400+ device we are buying. GREAT thinking!