How to tell my friends I "came out" of the "apple closet" ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nikomanz, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Okay
    (Im a senior in high school btw)

So I used to be kinda of an apple hater before. Not to the extent of fanboism, but i always was the one defending windows, and saying that mac was inferior and so on.

With the purchase of my iPad last november, there has been a steady string of apple purchases every month. iPad in november, iPhone 4s in december, mac mini in january, and finally my macbook air in late march.

The reason i made the gradual transition was simply because of the OS, and the integrated computer experience. Plus my 4th pc had broken down, and i was tired of it.

So, how do i tell my friends that are kinda used to me trashing apple, that i am finally an apple convert...

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

There is no closet to come out of. You just bought one and like it after all, big deal.

Accept the crap you get from your friends and remember that it's a taste of your own medicine lol.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Out of curiosity, on a scale of 1/10, how big of a delima is this for you?

5. Nikomanz thread starter macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Hahahaha, i agree completely... :/

----------

Not much, but it just got me thinking.. guess it probably be a 5?

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Don't worry about it too much, just don't go from apple hater to fanboy overnight. There's no reason to be a fanboy of either, IMHO. I've purchased all sorts of computers since I got my first Mac and I like them all about the same :)

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

When you get to college you'll see mostly Macs anyway so you'll fit right in with the college folk ;)

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

10. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

you should find something more serious to worry about, dropping one of your itoys normally helps with this.

11. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

While I realize that as a High School student, peer opinions are far more important to you than to old farts like me, who have learned over time not to give a s*** what others think about me.

But now is as good a time as any to begin to have confidence in your own choices irrespective of your peers opinions.

And remember, it's just an electronic device. In the larger scheme of things...even in the smaller scheme of things... it's trivial nonsense. Worrying about issues like what phone or computer you own is a giant waste of worry.

Now, worrying about the brand of jeans you wear...that's worth worrying about!!:rolleyes::D

(Hint: Levis 501 Original Fit are the only jeans to wear...all others are silly:p)

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Like this:

"Guys, I'm an Apple user."
    "What?! You?"
    "Yes. I'm also a homosexual. Anyway, back to that other huge bit of news. I got a MacBook Air last month....."

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Just do what I did....leave your door unlocked and have your friends walk in on you playing with your Mac.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

Just say, man I was wrong to be trashing you guys. Just admit you were wrong, they'll probably give you some crap, but they're your friends, so in the end it doesn't matter.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Tell your friends to grow up or **** off. It's just a computer.

Kids are worried about coming out of the closet because they're scared of being bullied about their sexual orientation, and you're worried about your friends making fun of you because of the damn computer you purchased. First world problems indeed :rolleyes:

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

Just because it isn't the worst problem I the world doesn't mean it isn't a problem for him, and one that we can't help him with quite easily, and will help him mature.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

no need to say anything.
    it's not the 90s and nobody cares anymore.
    If they do say something, just tell them that was the past and this works for you now.
    if they keep giving you a hard time, tell them it's time they mature too, and that it's only a tool.

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

20. Nikomanz thread starter macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Yeah it is kinda of a first world problem, but I dream of a world in which the most serious problem faced by anyone should be nothing short of trivial. People deserve it. But that's just my naivety and my romantic worldview.

Generally good advice, and jokes on my expense here (which I thought there were funny :D)

Going on your guys advice, not to worry about what other people think so much, and just move on.

And yes, the title of the thread was meant to be humorist.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, they're calling it a Mac nowadays.

:)

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

;)

23. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

"First world problems..." ARE STILL PROBLEMS.

I refuse to get dragged down by this moronic line of thinking. If it's a problem, then it's a damn problem. Look, we all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us. I'm not climbing down, and I'm not going to feel one GD bit guilty about it.

24. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

There's so much more to life than computers. Who cares what people think. Those of you who focus on this BS need to look in the mirror and say, "I really need to get a life"

25. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

You need to sleep with your friends' moms, so that the Apple news won't be a big deal