Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBR210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Hello-
I've already compiled and installed Ruby 1.9.2 but I don't know how to get the Terminal to use the new version instead of the factory installed 1.8.7 that came on my Snow Leopard machine. Can anyone help me out with the right commands to use to set the default?

Thanks.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hello-
I've already compiled and installed Ruby 1.9.2 but I don't know how to get the Terminal to use the new version instead of the factory installed 1.8.7 that came on my Snow Leopard machine. Can anyone help me out with the right commands to use to set the default?

Thanks.

Put the path to the newly installed version of Ruby before the path to the old version of Ruby in your PATH.

SBR210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Put the path to the newly installed version of Ruby before the path to the old version of Ruby in your PATH.

Thanks very much. As a complete newbie, would you be able to tell me specifically how to do that? I also need to add another new directory I created for Ruby files to the PATH as well. I've been looking on google and tried using the instructions here (http://www.macgasm.net/2008/04/10/adding-a-new-location-to-your-path-variable-within-terminal/) twice but they didn't work for me. Thank again for the help, really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.