How to transfer files from a PowerBook g3 to newer iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drjeffsykes, Apr 23, 2011.

1. drjeffsykes macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

In 2002, my PowerBook g3 (wallstreet) screen started behaving erratically to the point it became useless. We bought a g4 iMac and never looked back.

Finally determined that I want to get files off that old laptop, and not sure how to do so? I'm pretty sure the PowerBook still boots, and I'm going to try hooking up an external monitor (no I didn't think of that 9 years ago) to see if I can use it to see for sure. If it does work, and I can access the system after all these years, I want to be ready to grab files right then.

What would be the best way for me to connect it to an intel iMac to transfer those files? Would it be as easy as connecting the two with an Ethernet cable and turning on file sharing? Or should I plan on connecting it to the campus network at work and dumping to some network drive space?

The PowerBook is running 8.5, I think, and the iMac is running the most recent 10.6.

Any advice?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Eek, that could be hairy. I don't know if 10.6 will play nice with 8.5 for file sharing. I think your best bet would be a flash drive, which are super cheap if you don't already have one.

3. drjeffsykes thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

And it might even be 8.1. Either way the PowerBook is pre-USB, so I'm not sure how a flash drive would work.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Ah, didn't realize it didn't have usb. It would probably be easiest to use network drive space then. I don't imagine the PB had a big enough hard drive in it to have tons of data.

5. drjeffsykes thread starter macrumors newbie

Been some time now, but thought it would be proper to follow up. Connected the PowerBook to a classroom projector (saw its desktop for the first time in 8 years), connected to the campus network by ethernet, and then copied all my docs into some personal space on a network drive.

PowerBook is now resting in peace.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Better late than never. :D