How to transfer iPhone from Windows to Mac? Settings etc.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BadboyHouse, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

Getting a MacBook Pro for Xmas and I will need to transfer iTunes from our windows pc to the mac.

I posted this in the mac software forum but it doesn't look like that was the best place for this.

Me and the mrs both have iPhones.

I've got the details from the apple website on how to transfer the music, playlists etc, but what about the settings on our iPhones?

Won't iTunes on the mac recognise our iPhones as new devices and wipe them initially?

We've got things like game settings, game progress (angry birds etc).

What's the best way of not only transferring iTunes, but also ensuring that when we connect our phones to the mac, if it does wipe them, that all of our settings etc go back on the phones?

2. saving107, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No, the data will never be wiped from your device, only media (like music and movies). On your first sync it will ask you if you want to merge your information from the computer and the phone so that they match (information like Contacts, Calendar, Bookmarks, Notes), or to replace the info in your phone to match whats on your computer (which will be nothing), so press Merge.

Regarding Media and Apps, make sure to transfer over all that to your new machine before the first sync. If (for example) you have the The Killers album "Day & Age" on your phone, but not on your computer, then during the first sync it will delete that album. But if that album was on your computer, then during that first sync everything will match and that album will be left alone on your phone.

3. dickdaney macrumors regular

Apple has steps to make this easy on their support website. I did this about a month ago when I bought a macbook. Here are my main tips:

1. Make sure you library is consolidated (all your files are in the iTunes folder in windows, not scattered amongst many folders)
    2. If you sync pictures from the "my pictures" folder, copy that folder and move the pictures into iPhoto. Otherwise, synced photos will be lost.
    3. its easiest to just use an external HD to move everything.

Follow the directions on apple site and you won't lose any of your music, ringtones, apps, movies, etc. Make sure you move any synced photos from the PC to the mac. you WILL lose synced photos if you don't transfer them.

4. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

So just to confirm, once I've transferred my itunes library from my pc to the mac, when I connect the iphone to the mac for the first time, it WILL recognise all of my saved game progress (angry birds etc) and app settings - usernames, passwords etc etc?

It's not totally clear how to ensure that all of my app settings, and game saves transfer from the pc to the mac.

Can anyone clarify?

5. Caliber26, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Just make sure to back up your iPhones to iCloud. Since it's backing up to the cloud (instead of a physical computer) this will be seemless on your end. Even if everything were to get wiped off of your iPhone (or if it were to be lost or stolen), you will ALWAYS be able to restore from iCloud, just by logging in with your Apple ID. Best of all, it's FREE.

Those backups will save all of your customizations, wallpapers, app & folder arrangement, contacts, camera roll pictures, and app data (such as game progress and scores or Notification Center preferences).

If backing up to the cloud isn't your cup of tea, you can always change your preferences (in iTunes) and save backups to your computer instead. It's always going to be either or. But since you're concerned with preserving all your app data, I think an iCloud back up is the best bet to insure yourself -- at least during your transition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.