How to transport video from Sony DCR-DVD610 to my mac.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Droopy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Droopy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Need some help here. I have Mac OSX version 10.4.11 with iMovie HD 6.0.3.

My camera is a Sony DCR-DVD 610. How do I get video onto my Mac so I can even see it?

Here is a few notes that may help with answering my problem.

- Sony tech support informed me that my version of iMovie does not support my camera.

- Nothing pops up on my desktop when I plug in the USB cable.

- Every 3rd or 4th time after trying to plug in the cable a pop up menu comes up that says "a blank dvd is inserted...etc...choose a program...etc." Of course no program opens it.

- I'm not a complete moron, but am not a computer genius by any means. I tried Handbrake and can't open it. I downloaded something called VLC and chose that when the pop up menu came up. Well...I still can't see anything to open, so that don't work.

- Sony tech support suggested Quicktime 7, but my computer is too old to update with that version.

All I want to be able to do is open the freaking video on my computer and I can't do that. :eek:

2. -DH macrumors 65816

I believe that camera model records to Mini DVD discs. If so, first make sure you finalize the disc in-camera. Next, you'll need a program like DVDxDV or MPEG Streamclip to convert the DVD's VOB file into an editable format that works natively with whichever NLE you're using.

A couple of notes:
    1. If you use MPEG Streamclip, you will need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component which is available from Apple.

2. Never, ever, EVER place a mini DVD disc in a slot-loading DVD drive. Only use tray-loading drives.

-DH

3. Droopy thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried streamclip as well, but I did not finalize the disc yet. I checked on another forum and was told I did not need to finalize the disc yet since I am not loading the disc in the computer. I'll try finalizing. Thanks.