How to turn off data options on iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by josiec, Aug 21, 2008.

1. josiec macrumors newbie

was offered a great deal on iphone 3g from my service provider and i do not have to buy into the data plan. Is it worth the taking the deal? if so how to disable the costly data function yet maintain wi-fi options and how would i do software updates on the iphone.

thanks in advance

2. afterburn11 macrumors newbie

You can call your cell phone provider and ask them to block data to your phone.

3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

AFAIK, AT&T will make you have the data function regardless, and it hasn't been hacked to work on other carriers yet.

4. josiec thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm with fido in ontario. So i think my option to block data with my provider is available

5. afterburn11 macrumors newbie

Yup, I'm with Rogers in Alberta, and people have successfully blocked data to their iPhone. My girlfriend is going to do it soon. Since Fido is owned by Rogers, I'm sure you'll be able to do it too.

6. josiec thread starter macrumors newbie

when i was talking to customer service they said something about "without data plan updates might happen and data costs would apply". I am able to do all my updates linking wi-fi or with home computer. Right?

7. afterburn11 macrumors newbie

Yeah, but when my girlfriend last updated her iPhone, her data usage did increase. We think that it was because of the update. So it is very likely—nay, it is certain—that your phone will use data. In the month my girlfriend has had the iPhone, she, without a data plan, has used around 104kb. That's only about $5.00, so it's not a big deal, but still.

8. Chuckskull macrumors newbie

You can simply go to your store where you bought it, and ask to block data.
    Then can say, without data, your phone won't work, but don't believe, i ask them, and they did. My phone working very well and if i need Internet on the phone, i am using my Wifi

9. firewood macrumors 604

And if your wifi glitches or disconnects for some reason, your phone can still run up a huge data bill before you even notice.

Better to have the provider block data.

10. TechIsCool macrumors member

Well i got a simple thing to fix it so you dont run up the data bill if you drop wifi you change the apn name here look

[​IMG]

11. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Don't mess around with sketchy firmware hacks - it takes a quick call to Rogers or Fido to get data legitimately blocked on your account. If it is done properly (and you should call back a couple times to ensure that it is), no data will be used when outside of wifi.

12. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

nice

this is good info and now i think i will purchase one, but my big question is:

if you buy with the 2 yr contract for 200$ new, will they still disable the data for you? or is this only for 2nd hand purchasers that are using the sim card swaperoo? thanks guys

13. blias macrumors newbie

I was just about to buy an iPhone 3G today from Fido. Just before signing the contract at the kiosk I noticed that there were two dangerous paragraphs:

1. The data access when using an iPhone is turned on by default
    2. If you you are to cancel that option before the end of the contract you are subject to fee(s).

I decided to call customer service representative to see what exactly they meant by this. As soon as the respresentative heard that I bought an iPhone and wanted to had a block on the data access he said literally that they would put a block.It was not a problem BUT they cannot guarantee that the block would always work. I told him I didn’t understand how it is possible to have a block and to be screwed after by them and he stated that if I don’t want to have any surprises just not to get the iPhone.
    Eventually I was more than happy because I hadn’t signed the contract.And I will not at all. So, if you, guys and girls, do not want to get screwed by Fido/Rogers go over you agreements in very details and ask as many questions as it is necessary in order to save your neck. Otherwise Fido/Rogers will laugh at you seeing you f***d into their f***g web.Just be carefull.
    Good luck to all of you.