How to type French accents on a Intl English keyboard?

Taustin Powers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I can see the accent keys, but I cannot get them to work right. Is there any way to type French accents without changing the keyboard layout to French?

This is the new, flat Apple keyboard, on the last white iMac model.

Applespider

macrumors G4
While you're typing, to get an é, you type alt e and you'll get a highlighted ´ then just type the e and it will slot in under the ´ like so é.

To get a ê, it's alt i followed by the letter you want to accent. For a ç, it's just alt c, and for an è, it's alt `followed by the letter you want to accent.

I've just done that on a British layout - it should work fine on yours.

katy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2006
UK
While you're typing, to get an é, you type alt e and you'll get a highlighted ´ then just type the e and it will slot in under the ´ like so é.

To get a ê, it's alt i followed by the letter you want to accent. For a ç, it's just alt c, and for an è, it's alt `followed by the letter you want to accent.

I've just done that on a British layout - it should work fine on yours.
*learns something new*

Fisheke

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Antwerp, Belgium
They're actually placed at a relatively logical position..

the é is placed under the e of "accent égue" (slightly mistreating the spelling)
the ç is placed under the c because it is a "c çedille"
the ü is under the u because it is a german "umlaut"

and lord knows why the circonflexe (î) is under the i :-/

Applespider

macrumors G4

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
and lord knows why the circonflexe (î) is under the i :-/
Running out of vowels? :D

The five basic accents of French are pretty easy to remember. Most of the accents are in sensible places. Like the ~ accent is on the n key for the frequent usage of that combination in Spanish, presumably.

sbock3

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thank you for this!

There's another thread on here where someone asks how to do the same thing, and the responses are just terrible, hahah. thanks again for teaching me how to use my mac properly! I might make it through university, now..

Gugalpm

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
The US International keyboard layout is much better than memorizing these shortcuts.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
These are good to know. I've studied enough French to the point that I hate typing re'sume'; I want real accents! :D

Of course, this all leads to the million-dollar question: What about Vietnamese? Do we use several Option combos consecutively, then the vowel? Or must the Character Palette be used?

(Not that this would do me any good; I don't speak or read Vietnamese. I do, however, like Asian food, including Vietnamese.)

MaggieDana

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Connecticut
I can see the accent keys, but I cannot get them to work right. Is there any way to type French accents without changing the keyboard layout to French?

This is the new, flat Apple keyboard, on the last white iMac model.
In MS Word (on a Mac) it works like this: for an acute accent, type OPTION e, then type letter you want the accent to appear over, i.e., for an a with an acute accent, type OPTION e a; for a cedilla, just type OPTION c and the cedilla appears beneath it (no need to type the 'c' again); for a character with a grave accent, type OPTION grave (upper left key, top row) followed by letter you want the accent over. Be sure to release the OPTION key before typing the second letter.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
You can also hold the key to get all of this

à á â ä æ ã å ā (this is holding A - you can do the same thing for the other letters)

ö è ê ę ç and so forth

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
What an interesting thread.

In general, I tend to use the 'character' palette, as @Caezar has mentioned above.

However, these are interesting short-cuts, and I'm most grateful to learn about them.