How to unlock ATT iPhone 4s after 5s activated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Oct 13, 2013.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010

I received my iphone 4s on Oct. 14, 2011. I just renewed my contract when I received my iphone 5s on Sep. 26, 2013.

On 9/19/13 I went to and requested my iphone 4s(with old IMEI) be deactivated. I got this message on 9/20/13:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.

We cannot complete your request for the following reason:

A recent upgrade has been completed on your account. Please resubmit your request after 14-days from date of upgrade."

Why won't it work?

What can I do now? I resubmitted the request at the site today but it wouldn't let me unlock the phone using the same phone number(same line -- just a new phone) and so I had to check in "previous customer" box and it processed the request even though I am still a customer.

Will this work?

Why is
  2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Jun 29, 2012
    Colorado Springs USA for now
    Ultimately no one here can answer your question as we don't represent ATT but I believe it will. I have unlocked several in this manner. It's best to call and speak with someone to ensure you get your phone unlocked.
  3. alent1234 macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2009
    just do the CS chat or call in

last year i had a problem with my wife's iphone 4. she had it replaced by apple and AT&T had the IMEI as being less than 2 years old and thought it would be under contract for another year. it took me 2 or 3 unlock requests and a call to tech support to get it fixed

they have a stupid system where they start the countdown when they first detect the IMEI on their network
  4. PNutts macrumors 601

Jul 24, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, US
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and day it's because recent upgrade has been completed on your account. To work around it you should resubmit your request after 14-days from date of upgrade.
  5. cmb741 macrumors member

Jun 23, 2010
    Yup, I'm guessing it's because
    A: you're 4s contract is not up yet (Early upgrade) or
    B: You're still within your 14 day return period on the 5s.
    Either way, They told me the same. I wanted to sell the 4s ASAP so I called AT&T back, got lucky and got a good rep. Just told them straight out honestly. " I have no intention of returning my 5s but I wanna sell my old 4s, I have a buyer lined up in the AM, He's buying the phone to travel with. Could ya help me out & unlock it for me?" The rep checked into it, It was AT&T unlocked right then and there. It took three calls tho. Most reps just referred me to the same site/forms... Give'm a call back. Tell em what I told them. Good luck