How to unlock sprint iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuffman15, Jun 22, 2013.

1. chuffman15 macrumors regular

ive seen alot of information about unlocking att iphones but nothing for sprint phones. are there sprint unlocking services like what unlock_fusion offers for att (gsm)phones?
    sorry for being uneducated.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you are wanting to unlock your Sprint phone, so that it could be used with AT&T (for instance), it can't be done.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

No.

You'll need to trade/sell your Sprint phone for an iPhone that works on the carrier you want to use. Sprint will unlock it for customers but it's blocked from using GSM networks in the US out of fear of people leaving Sprint for competitors.

4. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

i only ask because i plan to sell this iphone 5 when the iphone 5s comes out. im guessing i can only sell it to another sprint customer?

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Someone else may be able to use it, who is not with AT&T etc, but I don't recall which carrier(s) if any, they are.

Best bet is to try and sell to another Sprint customer. Sprint is buying back phones. Check their site. I just sold them my old 4s for $160.00 and walked out with a 5 for $47.00

6. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

i recently sold my 2 iphone 4s on craigslist for 250$ each. it took all of 30 minutes. i walked into best buy and bought iPhone 5's for 250$ each. almost a clean swap. my "plan" is to sell the iphone 5 for 450 to 500$ and only have to come out of pocket 250 to 300$ for the iphone 5s (non-subsidized) phone price.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Call sprint, they'll unlock it for you if you're a sprint subscriber.

8. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

do i have to do this before i sell it to another sprint customer?

9. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Call Sprint, I'm not sure what there "terms" are. But I think you have to be in good standing.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

Hate to tell you but I doubt you're going to get that much for the Sprint iPhone 5. It has the lowest resale value of all the carriers and most used ones are selling for around $350-360 on eBay before fees ~$310 after. Value will probably drop at least another $50-75 immediately after the 5S is announced. Unless you can get extremely lucky to find someone on Craigslist who will pay big bucks for one.

11. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

it took 30 minutes to sell my 2 year old 4s for 250$.best buy offered me 190$. i said "plan" air quotes. if the 5s isnt super duper i doubt i will swap it out. my area has 4g LTE so the phone would have to hit it out of the park to change to it

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

But it's only an international unlock. They will NOT under ANY circumstance unlock it for domestic use. There are a lot of unethical people (not the OP) who are selling Sprint iPhones as "unlocked" right now because they know buyers will assume it's unlocked completely. This is why there are a lot of Sprint iPhones being sold on craigslist and eBay.

Terms are 90 days as a customer. That means you have to establish service with Sprint and pay the activation fee, pay your bill on time for three months and then call them.

Note that many Sprint customers are being asked by people caught in this trap to activate phones on our plans and then ask for an unlock. This is NOT something you want to do because you don't have the device and you are paying to activate the phone on your account.

So far, I've been asked twice. No way am I giving someone a free line on my account and getting stuck with the bill!

----------

See above! ^^

----------

If you want it unlocked for international use before selling it yes. Otherwise, the buyer can do that as long as they are a Sprint customer. But again, the unlock is international only. Unless the seller is going out of the country having it unlocked for international use only really does them no good.