Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechForAll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I have just restored a Mac Pro (2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core Xeon 16GB [only detects 8GB ugh!!!]) with OS X 10.5.

I have done all updates, but it still wont support the installation of the latest browsers Firefox and Chrome, and with the older ones I can't fully access the modern websites.

Any solution without buying a whole new OS? This one will only be used for the simple email/web/local docs etc....

Thanks!

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
That machine is able to run at least 10.7 (10.11 if it's newer than the original Mac Pro). You can take it to the Genius Bar and they will install the latest supported OS free of charge. 10.5 won't allow you to run a modern browser... You'll need 10.8 at least really to run a modern browser.

TechForAll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
That machine is able to run at least 10.7 (10.11 if it's newer than the original Mac Pro). You can take it to the Genius Bar and they will install the latest supported OS free of charge. 10.5 won't allow you to run a modern browser... You'll need 10.8 at least really to run a modern browser.

Thanks! But there is no way to do it myself? What are the requirements, you need some special code? El capitan seems to require at least 10.7 or so... or do I have to purchase another OS, seems like Snow Leopard and Lion are only $20... but there are so many OS's, which should I get and are any free?

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
You will need to get to Lion or it's not worth the effort. Chrome has just announced that it's dropped support for Snow Leopard.

TechForAll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
You will need to get to Lion or it's not worth the effort. Chrome has just announced that it's dropped support for Snow Leopard.

Is the Lion for $20 the highest I can upgrade to right now in my system? And I can buy/download that online and install it myself correct? Sorry I'm a PC guy, so these questions may seem dumb but I wanna make sure I dont miss any stupid details.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
@TechForAll - If you're still running 10.5.8, purchase a copy of 10.6 Snow Leopard from here and install it. As of now, the current version of Firefox 46.0.1 is still compatible, and ESR 45 will receive updates until 2017. You can go further and install an unsupported OS such as Mavericks or El Capitan, as I have done on my 2006 Mac Pro. However, this is a bit more complex as the installers won't download on an unsupported Mac, and if the Mac Pro still has the stock GPU it will have to be upgraded to something newer for decent performance.

------​
This is what I see when visiting Chrome's website running Mountain Lion 10.8.5:
This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 are no longer supported.

It makes no difference updating to Lion or Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. The same is true with Firefox support past 46 or ESR 45, unfortunately for my 2006 24" iMac which is stuck on Mountain Lion (unsupported install using MLPostFactor, later versions don't support the 7600 GT GPU).

TechForAll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Lion (10.7.5) is the last supported OS for a first-generation Mac Pro, because it uses 32-bit EFI.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

There are hacks to get later versions of OS X onto that model.
You can try them at your own risk.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-2-1-and-os-x-mavericks.1598176/page-2

Thanks guys, and ohhhh is this why when I put in 16GB of new RAM it only still shows 8GB? Any workaround for that or did I waste like $300???

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Even after upgrading to Lion, I doubt you'll be happy with the internet performance for long. That computer is just too old for modern web browsing.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Even after upgrading to Lion, I doubt you'll be happy with the internet performance for long. That computer is just too old for modern web browsing.
Yes it's almost a decade old, but it's also a quad-core Mac Pro. That's powerful enough to handle modern web browsing. The OP's biggest issue is software support. Upgrading the stock GPU to something newer and installing a current (but unsupported) version of OS X would give it new life.

TechForAll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Do all 8 slots appear in System Profiler > Memory?

Yes I see all 8, but only 2x4GB appear, the rest says empty.

So whats the final consensus? Buy Lion an install that with Chrome and Firefox and be fine for another 1-2 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.